The Walmart Foundation is pleased to open a request for Letters of Interest (LOI) from non-profit organizations working to reduce food waste in Canada. This funding seeks to support promising programs that have the potential to significantly reduce food waste and loss – with the ultimate goals of preventing loss, maximizing donations of usable food, and minimizing food waste that ends up in landfills.
LOIs will be considered in three areas:
- Addressing food loss and waste from farm to consumer: e.g. increasing knowledge on the causes of food loss on farms or during processing), and/or testing or scaling interventions that reduce food waste.
- Building capacity in the charitable food system: e.g. increasing the ability to recover and distribute food to people in need, specifically in rural areas and for underserved populations. This could include testing innovative models or scaling proven solutions.
- Optimizing and/or developing organic recycling solutions: e.g advancing innovations and programs that improve organic recycling.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum eligibility requirements to be considered:
- A tax-exempt public charity or public university under US or Canadian law.
- Requests between $250,000 and $1,000,000 USD will be considered.
- Grant request must not exceed 50% of the applicant’s total operating budget for the most recent fiscal year.
Organizations may submit only one proposal for each topic.
Maximum Project Value
The Walmart Foundation is seeking proposals from qualified organizations that have experience in formulating, proposing, and implementing food waste reduction efforts. Requests between $250,000 and $1,000,000 (USD) will be considered.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Letter of Intent: PI to submit LOI directly to sponsor using the CyberGrants online system. To begin the LOI visit: http://www.cybergrants.com/walmart/national_loi Invitation Code: natinveh. Please note that you will need to enter this invitation code each time you log in.
If you are a first-time user, you will need to create an online profile before accessing the LOI form. When completing an online LOI, the form will require you to select a focus area and a subcategory. Select “sustainability” as your focus area and “food system support” as your subcategory. Once the LOI and proposal forms are filled out in CyberGrants, please click “Submit.”
For more information about this competition and how to apply, visit the Walmart Foundation website.
If Invited: PI to submit copy of application along with a complete OR5 form to: research.services.ca