Weston Brain Institute
Transformational Research: Canada 2019 (Parkinson's and Related Diseases)
For More Information
Materials for Weston Brain Institute Transformational Research - Canada 2019 (Parkinson’s and Related Diseases)
- Request for Applications
- Program Details
- LOI Sample
Neurodegenerative diseases of aging are among the least understood and most undertreated diseases today. If ignored, the social and economic costs of managing these diseases will continue to rise. Meeting these challenges requires pioneering approaches to accelerating treatments.
- Accepting applications on diet, physical activity, sleep and nutritional supplements, if these applications meet our other scope criteria.
- Encouraging applications that bring in expertise, technologies or approaches in the following areas to advance the development of therapeutics and tools for neurodegenerative diseases of aging: artificial intelligence, big data, machine learning, data science, computer science, medicinal chemistry, biostatistics and engineering.
Applicant Eligibility: Eligible Principal Applicants must be researchers working in Canada at least 30% of the time at or above the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent, and be affiliated with a Canada Revenue Agency-qualified donee institution located in Canada. Co-Applicants/Collaborators must be at the post-doctoral level or above and can be working outside Canada.
Applicants may appear in any role on any number of projects.
Project Eligibility: Projects must meet the following conditions to be eligible:
- Be translational research (excluding clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies) that accelerates the development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases of aging.
- Clinical trials and clinical trial sub-studies should be submitted to the Early-Phase Clinical Trials or Rapid Response programs; however other translational research using humans or human samples/data is in scope.
- Be the development of a therapeutic and/or tool and/or complementary approaches
$200,000 to $1,500,000
Maximum Project Value
A maximum of $1,500,000 over three years
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
LOI must be submitted to Weston Brain Institute through the online grants management system. Applicants invited to submit a full proposal after the LOI review stage is complete must immediately contact the Office of Research (email@example.com) to communicate their invitation to the full proposal stage.
Applicants invited to the full proposal stage must submit the full application and signed OR-5 to Office of Research (firstname.lastname@example.org) a minimum of one week prior to submission to Weston Brain Institute.
Applicants invited to submit full proposals, must do so by submitting directly to Weston Brain Institute through the online grants management system.
How to Apply
Register as a user for the Weston Brain Institute Grant Management System. This system allows researchers to apply for various funding programs, follow the status of applications, submit any post-award information, review assigned applications and communicate with Weston.
Information For Co-applicants
If you need to meet a deadline set by the lead institution for this opportunity, please ensure that you provide the Office of Research with at least five days in advance of the lead institution’s deadline to review the application, or your proposed component of the project. Please be in touch with the Office of Research (contact information below) ahead of the deadline if it looks like it will be difficult for you to submit all the required documentation on time (i.e. budget, proposal, OR-5 Form).