Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
For More Information
The WSIB’s Grants Program enhances workers’ compensation system outcomes by supporting innovative proposals that are aligned to the WSIB’s strategic mandate. This is accomplished through highly practical, expert research studies that address current and emerging challenges – and, it will strengthen Ontario's workers' compensation system now and in the future.
The following research priorities have been identified for the 2019 call, based on WSIB’s Strategic Plan:
- Making Ontario a safer place to work
- Improving return to work and recovery outcomes
- Meeting the needs and expectations of WSIB’s customers
The WSIB Grants Program accepts the following types of proposals:
- Research proposals
- Expert research proposals that deliver practical results for the workers’ compensation system
- Results will lead to policy, program and practice improvements
- Proposals for systematic reviews will also be considered
- Workplace-based projects that involve collaborations between the workplace, researchers and organizations
- Proposals may include implementing completed research, piloting programs, and conducting evaluations to improve outcomes
- Training proposals
- Initiatives that help people with work-related injuries and illnesses, employers and the compensation system resolve long-standing barriers
- Innovative opportunities that build capacity in the community and offer significant potential to improve compensation system results
Publicly funded universities and colleges.
Master’s or PhD students conducting research at a Canadian institution are eligible to submit a proposal as a Secondary Lead. The Project Lead must be an expert researcher who agrees to supervise the student and accept accountability for grant management and performance.
Maximum Project Value
The maximum funding request is up to $200,000/year for a total maximum budget of $400,000.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit your OR-5 and initial proposal to the Office of Research Services at email@example.com. Please note that the initial proposal requires a University signature (which will be obtained at the Office of Research level) prior to final submission to WSIB.
Lead Applicant is responsible for submitting a signed, completed proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00pm ET on February 15, 2019.
For researchers invited to the detailed proposal stage, please submit your detail proposal to the Office of Research for review a minimum of one-week prior to the deadline set by WSIB.