Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB)
For More Information
Grants priority areas
The central areas of focus of the 2021 WSIB Grants Program support the WSIB’s Strategic Plan with a focus on the impact of COVID-19. Three considerations for potential proposals include:
- COVID-19 is changing how we work
- COVID-19 is changing how we approach health and safety
- COVID-19 is changing how we support return-to-work and recovery
The grants agenda provides more information on the topics of interest for the 2021 proposal.
WSIB is committed to providing exceptional programs and services to the people and businesses of Ontario.
The objective of the WSIB grants program is to enhance workers’ compensation system outcomes by supporting innovative proposals that are aligned to WSIB's strategic mandate.
The grants program accomplishes this through highly practical research studies delivered by professionals and organizations that can strengthen Ontario's workers' compensation system now and in the future.
WSIB follow a rigorous and transparent proposal selection process for their grants program. They accept the following types of proposals:
- Research proposals
- Expert research proposals that deliver practical results for the workplace safety and compensation system
- Workplace-based projects that create partnerships between the workplace, researchers and organizations
- Training proposals
- Initiatives that help people with workplace injuries and illnesses, employers and the workplace safety and compensation system solve long-standing barriers
- Innovative opportunities that build capacity in the community and offer significant potential to improve system results
Expert researchers affiliated with an eligible applicant organization:
- Publicly funded universities or colleges
- Public hospitals with a specialized research area
- Not-for-profit or registered charitable organizations with the capability and capacity to conduct research
- Canadian non-governmental organizations with the capability and capacity to conduct research
- Other organizations that have the capability and capacity to conduct research and are not privately owned and operated may also be eligible for a WSIB grant.
Maximum Project Value
The maximum funding request is up to $150,000/year for a total maximum budget of $300,000. The WSIB does not renew grants for the same grant purpose. Applicant organizations may submit more than one distinct proposal for consideration during each application cycle
The maximum grant length is two years (24 months).
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant to email an unprotected or unsecured PDF signed copy of the completed proposal to email@example.com on or before 11:59 p.m. (EST) on October 9th, 2020. Hard copies of the application are not required.
Proposals received after the deadline will not be included in the application and selection process. Incomplete proposals will not be accepted.
How to Apply
For more information, review the grant proposal instructions (PDF).
Download the WSIB grants application form (PDF).