Research Software Program
For More Information
Please visit the CANARIE Research Software Program’s website for
- Program guidelines
- Expression of Interest form
- Evaluation criteria
- Research Software Program FAQ
CANARIE has been investing in the development of software to support scientific research since 2007. In its last mandate (2012-15), CANARIE funded the development of nearly 70 research software tools. These tools enable Canadian scientists to analyze, visualize and share immense volumes of research data, transforming data into knowledge and insights that contribute to Canada’s economic and social development.
The purpose of this program is to:
- Provide software tools to Canadian researchers to reduce time to discovery.
- Allow researchers to make effective use of Canadian digital infrastructure.
- Promote re-use of tools to minimize the costs of software development prior to the start of research.
- Create a community of research software developers in Canada to further accelerate research through collaborative software development and expertise sharing.
Researcher/s must be associated with a Canadian university, college, corporation or other legally recognized entity who will act as the “Lead Contractor”.
- Development of Research Platforms – This includes development of new Research Platforms, or the enhancement of an existing Research Platform. Maximum funding per platform under this call is $600K.
- Development of Stand-alone Research Software Services – This includes development of new Software Services or the enhancement of an existing Software Service. Maximum funding per Software Service under this call is $100K.
The maximum funding period for this call is 24 months.
The first phase of the application process requires applicants to complete a short Expression of Interest (EOI) form. To foster collaboration among the research and software development communities, CANARIE is also inviting research software development teams and researchers with existing re-useable software to indicate their availability for collaboration and co-development at the EOI stage.
Expression of Interest (EOI) submission deadline: 5:00 PM (EST) on August 14th, 2015.
Applicants notified of eligibility to proceed to full proposal: September 21st, 2015.
Planned full proposal submission deadline: November 17th, 2015.
Funding decisions: February 1st, 2016.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
Lead Researcher will be responsible for submitting the EOI in accordance with the sponsor’s instructions.