Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
2015 Foundation Scheme 2nd Live Pilot
For More Information
For more information, please go to the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) website.
Please read all instructions in order to familiarize yourself with the application process before applying. An overview of CIHR's application processes can be found under Apply for Funding. Note that these are general instructions only. To complete your application, follow the specific instructions for this program:
Stage 1 Application
|Stage 2 Application|
These documents provide a summary of the application requirements for Stage 1 and Stage 2. While the application content is not expected to change, the application for this competition will be completed through ResearchNet and may therefore look different.
The Foundation Scheme is designed to contribute to a sustainable foundation of new and established health research leaders, by providing long-term support for the pursuit of innovative and high-impact research programs.
The Foundation Scheme is expected to:
- Support a broad base of health research leaders across all career stages, areas, and health-related disciplines with a demonstrable track record of excellence and impact in their field of study;
- Develop and maintain Canadian capacity in health research and other related fields;
- Provide research leaders with the flexibility to pursue novel and innovative lines of inquiry;
- Contribute to the creation and application of health-related knowledge through a wide range of research and/or knowledge translation activities, including relevant collaborations.
The University of Guelph will coordinate an internal peer review process, in order to provide potential Program Leaders with feedback on their likelihood of success in this competition. Please refer to the section below on “Internal Deadline” for more information.
Information on all Program Leaders involved in the application will be collected, however please note that the Program Leader who opens the Foundation registration in their ResearchNet account will be identified as the one who is administratively responsible for the grant. The Program Leader will need to confirm their eligibility to apply to this competition, eligibility that will be validated by CIHR.
Foundation grants are designed to support research leaders at any career stage to build and conduct programs of health research across CIHR's mandate. Eligible applicants will include new/early-career, mid-career, and established researchers who are independent researchers with a demonstrable track record of excellence and impact in their field of study. An individual may only be a Program Leader on one Foundation grant at any one time.
For the Foundation Scheme: 2015 2nd Live Pilot competition, one of the Program Leaders must also fall into one of the following four groups:
- On July 30th 2013, the Program Leader is the Nominated Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator of a CIHR Open program grant with an expiry date no earlier than October 1, 2014 and no later than September 30, 2016.
- The Program Leader is considered to be a new/early-career investigator.
- On July 30th 2013, the Program Leader has never held Open CIHR funding as a Nominated Principal Investigator or a Co-Principal Investigator.
- The Program Leader was unsuccessful in the Foundation Scheme: 2014 1st Live Pilot competition.
The combined total amount available for CIHR's 2015-16 Open Grant Programs (Foundation Scheme: 2015 2nd Live Pilot, Project Scheme: 2016 1st Live Pilot and Project Scheme: 2016 2nd Live Pilot) is approximately $500M.
- The number of grants expected to be funded for this Foundation Scheme competition is approximately 120 to 250 grants.
- Based on historical modeling, it is expected that most Foundation grant budget requests will fall within a range of $50K to $1.5M per annum. Foundation grant levels will be commensurate with need, which is expected to vary by research field, research approach, and scope of program activities.
- For existing CIHR grantees, the budget request should be consistent with the applicant's previous CIHR open grant research funding history. Applicants must provide robust justification for requests that are significantly higher than their historical grant levels.
Applicants will be required to indicate the estimated budget amount they intend to request for the full term of the grant. CIHR acknowledges that details on the Foundation Scheme budget module have not been finalized, but are in the process of developing the module and it will be shared as soon as possible.
Applicants are encouraged to estimate a budget amount that would be appropriate to support their proposed program of research, taking into consideration their previous CIHR funding history. However, CIHR emphasizes that at this stage, applicants are required to provide an estimate only. They are not required to provide any justification and applicants may change their budget request at Stage 2. CIHR is collecting information at the registration stage for administrative purposes only to help with planning.
Five (5) years for new/early-career investigators; seven (7) years for senior and mid-career investigators.
The Foundation Scheme: 2015 2nd Live Pilot funding opportunity has been posted far in advance of the competition's registration deadline in order to provide the research community with the program details and the opportunity to prepare for the competition. Please be advised that the information in this funding opportunity and its supporting documents might change based on the analysis of the results from ongoing pilots. No significant changes to the Stage 1 requirements are expected to be made after July 15, 2015.
July 27, 2015, 8:00 pm
Project Leaders register directly using ResearchNet. Registrations will be accepted between May 4, 2015 and July 27, 2015. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the program’s evaluation criteria in order to assess their likelihood of success in the 2nd Live Pilot competition.
First Internal Deadline
August 7, 2015, 4:30 pm
Eligible registrants will be invited to apply to Stage 1.
All Program Leaders are encouraged to submit a full copy of their Stage 1 applications, and CCVs, to their college’s Associate Dean Research (ADR). Applications will be peer reviewed within the college against the Foundation Scheme criteria; Program Leaders will receive the results of the review which could be helpful in completing a full Stage 1 application.
Second Internal Deadline
September 8, 2015, 4:30 pm
Please submit your application/proposal, along with an OR-5 Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also ‘Submit’ your application on ResearchNet.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Office of Research Services will submit applications to CIHR through ResearchNet.
Successful Stage 1 applicants will be invited to apply to Stage 2. More information about the process for Stage 2 will be provided in December 2015.
How to Apply
This funding opportunity follows the eApproval process. This means that when the applicant submits the application, it will be directed electronically to the Research Institution which the applicant has identified as the Institution Paid. The Research Institution will review the application and submit their approval electronically to CIHR on behalf of the applicant.