Research Platforms and Portals (RPP) Competition
For More Information
The RPP program supports researchers building platforms or portals to serve the needs of a community of users by granting access to computing and storage resources on Compute Canada’s systems. The RPP competition is targeted at applications that use platforms or portals to improve access to shared datasets, enhance existing online research tools and facilities, or advance national or international research collaborations. Groups are encouraged to use the RPP competition if their application falls within any of the following categories:
- Resources requested on behalf of a large community of users that will be reallocated to individuals and small groups following the award.
- Applications that provide a public platform that will make use of Compute Canada computing or storage.
- Groups engaging in international agreements to provide multi-year computing or storage solutions based in Canada.
- Recipients of the Major Science Initiative from the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
- Groups that are providing shared data sets accessible using a third party (non-Compute Canada) interface.
The RPP competition is open to all researchers based at Canadian academic institutions who are eligible to apply for funding to the federal granting agencies.
There is no limit to what an individual proposal can apply for, except the physical limitations of the systems. However, it is a competitive process, and most projects will not receive everything they request. In 2016, between the Resource Allocation Competition (RAP) and RPP competitions, Compute Canada expects to allocate 124,000 core-years in computing power and 15.5 PB of storage.
Resource allocations may be awarded up to a maximum of three years.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
Letters of Intent must be submitted online through the Compute Canada Database (CCDB). The LOI stage is mandatory but not competitive; LOIs are evaluated to ensure eligibility. Only approved LOIs will be invited to submit a full application. Full applications have an internal deadline of September 24, 2015. External deadline is October 8, 2015.