Ministry of Jobs, Skills, Training and Labour
2015 Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Futures - Research Funding Program
OHS Futures is a research funding program to help support a better understanding of occupational health and safety issues in Alberta’s workplaces. This program will enhance the partnership between the OHS program and experts across our province and Canada to make better policy for the issues of today and the emerging issues of tomorrow.
OHS Futures is accepting research applications for projects to support the prevention of injury, illness and occupational disease in Alberta workplaces. The program is designed to increase the transparency of funding and assist in engaging researchers and other stakeholders in addressing the long term health and safety of Alberta’s workers and workplaces.
Research Priority Areas
OHS Futures started in 2014 and is distributing up to $1 million per year for three years for approved research projects. Results of the 2014 competition are posted on the OHS Futures website: work.alberta.ca/OHSFutures.
For the 2015 competition, the OHS Futures research priorities are grouped in two main categories: Broad OHS Themes and Specific Hazards, Health Outcomes, Populations, and Impacts.
The Broad OHS Themes are:
- Work-Related Surveillance, Data, and Metrics
- Programs, Initiatives, and Evaluation
The Specific Hazards, Health Outcomes, Populations, and Impacts are:
- Work-related Chemical, Biological and/or Physical Hazards
- Work-Related Psychological Hazards
- Work-Related Health Outcomes
- Interest Populations
- Economic Impact
Applicant and/or Co-Applicant:
- cannot be full-time employees of any Government of Alberta Ministries;
- must have the qualifications (e.g. Ph.D or academic appointment at eligible universities) and appropriate expertise;
- must agree to data sharing; and
- must be willing to complete evaluation surveys, provide educational resources in non-technical language and present research findings at two designated meetings.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please include a signed OR5 form with your submission to Research Services firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are available as of March 27, 2015.
How to Apply
The application package consists of an online application and application supplement. It is now available on the OHS Futures website: work.alberta.ca/OHSFutures.
Please let us know if you’d be interested in an information session via teleconference or videoconference, and we could set this up at a time that works best for your research office and the researchers who’d be interested in applying to the funding program and/or want to get more information about OHS Futures 2015.