SponsorCanadian Institutes of Health Research
For More Information
For more information, please go to the sponsor website.
The Project Grant is designed to capture ideas with the greatest potential to advance health-related knowledge, health research, health care, health systems, and/or health outcomes. It supports projects with a specific purpose and a defined endpoint. The best ideas may stem from new, incremental, innovative, and/or high-risk lines of inquiry or knowledge translation approaches.
- An individual can submit an application to the Foundation Grant program (as a Program Leader) and to the Project Grant program (as a Nominated Principal Applicant) during overlapping peer review periods.
- An individual cannot submit more than two Project Grant applications as a Nominated Principal Applicant in a single competition.
- Individuals who hold a Foundation Grant in the role of Program Leader are not eligible to apply to the Project Grant competition in the role of Principal Applicant.
$12.5M over multi-year term – There is a specific funding envelope to support New/Early Career Investigators.
One to five year.
After receiving feedback from the research community, CIHR has decided to lift the restriction that limits researchers to applying to either the Foundation Grant or Project Grant competition. In the upcoming round of the Investigator Initiated programs, researchers will be able to apply for funding through both competitions. The restriction was originally intended to alleviate anticipated pressure on peer reviewers; however, we feel it is more important to address the concerns raised by the community.
The following policies remain in place, however:
1. If you receive a 2016 Project Grant as a Nominated Principal Applicant and go on to receive a Foundation grant as a Program Leader in future years, your Project Grant will be rolled into your Foundation grant as is the case for all CIHR Investigator Initiated grants.
2. You cannot submit the same or similar application to overlapping competitions. If, at Stage 2 of the Foundation Grant competition, it becomes obvious that the same application has been submitted to the Project Grant competition, you will be asked to withdraw
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Project Leaders register directly using ResearchNet: September 20, 2016. Registration will be accepted between Sept. 8 and Sept. 20, 2016
Researchers are encouraged to verify that the expenses in the budget are accurate and eligible; and that the budget and budget justification correspond to one another.
*The Office of Research processes a high volume of grants at this time. Note that by submitting your application you are verifying that it is accurate and complete.
Please note CIHR’s policy on complete applications and their stipulation that: “The entire responsibility to ensure completeness of the application submitted to CIHR will rest with the applicant.”
In order to best serve applicants who submit complete applications on/before the posted internal deadlines, the grants team will only review complete applications. Applicants who submit incomplete applications or who request to make revisions to their applications at the time of submission, or after submission, will be advised to resubmit when their application is complete. As such, these applications will begin to be processed when submitted as ‘complete’.
Due to the volume of applications expected, while ORS staff will put forward their best efforts, ORS cannot guarantee the review, approval and/or submission of applications that are received after the internal deadline. Further, in these cases, ORS may not be able to complete the full scope of review activities as per the Office of Research Review & Minimum Processing Times.
Please review the following resources when preparing your application (link to these):
Grant Writing Tips
Use of Grant Funds (Tri-Agency guidelines regarding eligible expenses)
2015 Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide
CIHR Project Grants Application Instructions (see Task 5 - Budget)
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit your application/proposal along with an OR5 form to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Applicant MUST hit the ‘Submit’ button on or before end of day October 11, 2016
How to Apply
This funding opportunity follows the eApproval process. This means that when the applicant submits the application, it will be directed electronically to the Research Institution which the applicant has identified as the Institution Paid. The Research Institution will review the application and submit their approval electronically to CIHR on behalf of the applicant.