SponsorCIHR; Institute of Infection and Immunity in partnership with International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
ProgramCIHR Team Grant: Canada-Latin America-Caribbean Zika Virus Program - Canada-Latin America and Caribbean Zika Virus Research Program)
For More Information
This funding opportunity on Zika virus is in response to the virus outbreak in the Americas and the Caribbean and to the health threat it represents for the affected populations. CIHR and the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), working with parameters set out by members of the Global Research Collaboration for Infectious Disease Preparedness (GloPID-R), are planning to invest in areas where new knowledge on Zika virus will help develop diagnostics for Zika virus infection, understand the pathology caused by the virus, and ultimately prevent its transmission and morbidity.
For your application to be eligible:
- The Canadian Nominated Principal Applicant must be an independent researcher.
- The Canadian Nominated Principal Applicant must be appointed at an eligible institution (See Institutional Eligibility Requirements for eligibility process and associated timelines).
- In order to be considered eligible, teams must include researchers that are based in Canada and researchers that are based in low and middle income countries in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), as defined by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Development Assistance Committee.
- At least one researcher based in each LAC country must be listed as a Principal Applicant.
- For teams in which research will be conducted in more than one Latin American and Caribbean country, there must be at least one researcher listed as a Principal Applicant based in each country. Note that one of the LAC Principal Applicants will have to be clearly identified as the holder of IDRC funds in the applicants table. For teams involving sub-grantees (indirect beneficiaries of IDRC funds), these sub-grantee institutions must be identified and described by the Principal Applicant (see Applicant table).
- Teams must include one member with data management and responsible data sharing expertise.
- Applicants may not apply to any other funding agencies with the same proposal.
For additional eligibility requirements for individuals, refer to the Individual Eligibility Requirements.
Maximum Project Value
The total amount available for this funding opportunity is $3,000,000 ($1,500,000 from CIHR and up to $1,500,000 for IDRC), enough to fund approximately three grants. This amount may increase if additional funding partners participate. The maximum CIHR amount is $166,667 per year for up to three years for a total of $500,000 per grant. The maximum IDRC amount is $500,000 for up to three years per grant. Note: there is flexibility with the IDRC source of funds in how the amounts are allocated per year.
A funding pool will be established for each of the three research areas. Funding will be distributed to the top rated full application in each of the research areas. If any of the research areas does not have a fundable application, then two in the same area could be funded (see funding decision section).
Of the $3,000,000:
- A total of $1M is available to fund an application relevant to the pathogenesis research area.
- A total of $1M is available to fund an application relevant to the diagnostics research area.
- A total of $1M is available to fund an application relevant to vector studies research area.
An in-person networking meeting between the Canada and Latin America and the Caribbean grantees and grantees from other member of GloPID-R such as the grantees from the European Commission call, is planned for the fall of 2016.
Due to the global health threat associated with the Zika virus, an exception will be made regarding the submission of same or similar applications to two active competitions. Applicants with same or similar applications in the Project competition are eligible to apply. If approved in the Project competition, the application will be withdrawn from this competition.
Linking Tool: Please see the updated Description section for information about the new Linking Tool.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
- The application process for this funding opportunity is comprised of one step: Full Application
- To complete your Full Application, follow the instructions in the Team Grant/Emerging Team Grant “Application” Phase Instruction Checklist along with any additional instructions found below under “Specific Instructions."