SponsorCanadian Institutes of Health Research
For More Information
For more information, please go to the CIHR website.
Fellowships provide support for highly qualified candidates in all areas of health research at the post-PhD degree or post-health professional degree stages to add to their experience by engaging in health research either in Canada or abroad.
See grant opportunity for full list of criteria
- must be a trainee and meet the minimum commitment of 75% of your time in the research fellowship role proposed in the application.
- a primary supervisor must be identified on the application. An additional supervisor may also be identified.
- at the time of application, you must hold or be completing a PhD or a regulated health professional degree.
- Applicants may submit only one application per year (September 1 to August 31) for funding from NSERC, CIHR or SSHRC. However, individuals eligible to apply to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program or the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program may also submit an application to the CIHR Fellowship program (this is the only exception where an individual may submit two applications in the same year).
up to $60,000 per annum – will fund approx. 170 awards. The awards consist of a stipend and a research allowance and are valued in Canadian dollars.
up to five years
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
This Funding Opportunity participates in the eApproval process .To submit an application, please log into ResearchNet and create an application. You are required to follow the instructions in the Fellowship Awards - Application Instructions. Important: Please read all instructions to familiarize yourself with the application process before applying.
- Only supervisor(s) signatures are required. Printed names should always accompany signatures.
- No institutional signatures are required on the pages at the time of application.