NSERC Discovery Grants
For More Information
Instructions for Completing an Application
Canadian Common CV - How to Complete NSERC’s Version
FAQ- Research Portal and CCV
The Discovery Grants Program supports on-going programs of research (with long-term goals) rather than short-term goals or a collection of unrelated projects. These grants recognize the creativity and innovation that are at the heart of all research advances. Researchers are free to work in the mode most appropriate for the research area.
- Only Applicants and Co-applicants are eligible to apply for and hold NSERC funds.
- Eligibility for applying for/holding an NSERC grant:
- Hold (or have a firm offer) for an academic appointment at an eligible Canadian university at the time of application. This can be a tenured, tenure-track or lifetime professor emeritus position; or a paid or unpaid term or contract position of no less than three years. The position must be finalized no later than six (6) weeks following the competition deadline of November 1, 2016.
- The position must require the individual to engage in research that is not under the direction of another individual; and
- The position must authorize the individual to supervise or co-supervise the research of students registered in an undergraduate or graduate degree program, or postdoctoral fellows (e.g. thesis supervision and not supervision of regular course or laboratory assignments).
Please review NSERC’s Discovery Grants webpage; NSERC’s Eligibility Criteria for Faculty webpage; and the UG NSERC Eligibility Criteria for Faculty webpage for further eligibility principles and criteria.
Grants are normally awarded for 5 years. Although a shorter duration can be requested, NSERC may award a grant of the normal duration.
Applicants to the Discovery Grant Program are categorized as either Early Career Researchers or Established Researchers. Refer to the Discovery Grants - Applicant Categories for more information.
Discovery Accelerator Supplements (DAS)
Evaluation Groups will review applications in accordance with the Discovery Grant criteria and will recommend a small number of applicants for an award according to the objective and description of the DAS Program. For more information, see the Discovery Accelerator Supplements Program – Frequently Asked Questions.
College-level Peer Review
The Colleges are offering opportunities for peer review. Please note the following Internal Application Deadlines for College-Level Peer Review:
College of Biological Sciences (CBS): October 1, 2016
College of Social and Applied Human Sciences (CSAHS): September 26, 2016
Ontario Agricultural College (OAC): September 26, 2016
College of Business and Economics (CBE): September 28, 2016
College of Physical and Engineering Sciences (CPES): Contact ADR Deb Stacey
Ontario Veterinary College: September 30, 2016
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant submits a signed OR-5 to: Research.Services@uoguelph.ca. Research also clicks “submit” in the Research Portal so the final Full Application appears on the Office of Research server. Grants Officer will print the application from the Research Portal.
How to Apply
Applicants must have successfully submitted a Notice of Intent (NOI) by August 3, 2016 in order to be eligible to submit a Full Application. This is a mandatory step in the application process.
Complete Application including List of References, Budget Justification and Samples of Research Contributions (maximum of 4 reprints or preprints and/or manuscripts, excerpts from your thesis, technical reports, etc.) along with a Canadian Common CV, are to be submitted electronically to Office of Research Services via the NSERC Research Portal. Upon approval, Office of Research Services submits the final version on behalf of the University using the Research Portal.
Webinars - NSERC will be hosting webinars about Discovery Grants from 1- 4 p.m. ET on the following days:
Discovery Grant – Notice of Intent to Apply:
Thursday, June 23, 2016 and
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Discovery Grant – Submission of an application
Thursday, September 22, 2016
Thursday, October 13, 2016
Visit NSERC’s Webinars page for more details and to register.