For More Information
Please visit the program’s website for further information.
SSHRC Impact Awards are designed to build on and sustain Canada’s research-based knowledge culture in the social sciences and humanities. The awards recognize outstanding researchers and celebrate their achievements in research, research training, knowledge mobilization and outreach activities funded partially or completely by SSHRC. Award funds are to be used for activities that promote and extend the work being honoured. In recognition of the crucial role that postsecondary institutions play as researchers’ knowledge mobilization partners, a minimum of 10 per cent of each award must to be used to promote the research achievements of the recipient.
Each institution may submit only one nomination for each award in a given year. The Office of Research Services will hold a competition for four of the SSHRC Impact Awards:
- Gold Medal ($100,000), SSHRC’s highest research honour, is awarded to an individual whose sustained leadership, dedication and originality of thought have inspired students and colleagues alike. The recipient’s achievements in research must have significantly advanced understanding in their research fields in the social sciences and humanities. The exceptional quality of their research, the impact of their work and their ongoing efforts to share the results of this work must have greatly enriched Canadian society and contributed to social, cultural, economic and intellectual life in Canada and/or internationally. Read more, including selection criteria of the Gold Medal.
- Insight Award ($50,000) recognizes outstanding achievement arising from a research project funded partially or completely by SSHRC. It is given to an individual or team whose project has resulted in significant contribution to knowledge and understanding about people, societies and the world. The project’s research outcomes must have led to demonstrable impact within and/or beyond the academic community. Read more, including selection criteria of the Insight Award.
- Connection Award ($50,000) recognizes an outstanding SSHRC?funded initiative to facilitate the flow and exchange of research knowledge within and/or beyond the academic community. It is given to an individual or team whose project has engaged the campus and/or wider community, and has generated intellectual, cultural, social and/or economic impacts. In the case of a team project, the nominee must be the applicant / project director for the initiative and, if successful, will receive the award on behalf of the team. Read more, including selection criteria of the Connection Award.
- Partnership Award ($50,000) recognizes a SSHRC?funded formal partnership for its outstanding achievement in advancing research, research training or knowledge mobilization, or developing a new partnership approach to research and/or related activities. It is awarded to a formal partnership that, through mutual co-operation and shared intellectual leadership and resources, has demonstrated impact and influence within and/or beyond the social sciences and humanities research community. For the Partnership Award, the nominee must be the project director. If successful, this person will receive the award on behalf of the partnership. Read more, including selection criteria of the Partnership Award.
A nominee must:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada at the time of nomination;
- be an active social sciences and humanities researcher or student;
- hold or have held SSHRC funding pertinent to the award category;
- be in good standing with SSHRC;
- be affiliated with an institution eligible to administer SSHRC funds; and
- if the recipient of an award, maintain affiliation with an institution eligible to administer SSHRC funds.
- cannot nominate themselves;
- can be nominated in two sequential years for the same award, following which two years must pass before they can next be nominated in the same category;
- can be nominated in only one category in any year; and
- can be nominated in a subsequent year for a different SSHRC Impact Award
Note: Current members of SSHRC’s governing council are not eligible to be nominated.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
to Office of Research Services: Please submit your Nomination Package to email@example.com by March 8, 2016.
For nominations selected to be forwarded to SSHRC
Please submit your Final Nomination Package, along with an OR-5 Form to the Office of Research Services at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 29, 2016.
The Office of Research Services will courier final nomination packages to meet SSHRC’s deadline (postmarked) of April 5, 2016.
How to Apply
Each college is invited to submit up to two (2) nominations for each of the Gold Medal, Insight, Connection and Partnership Awards to the Office of Research Services, by Tuesday March 8, 2016. Interested nominees should contact their Associate Dean of Research as soon as possible to explore nomination development. For full information on the nomination requirements, please refer to the SSHRC website, in particular the section on “The Nomination Package”. Nomination packages should be forwarded by e-mail to email@example.com .
Review process: The Office of Research Services will review all nominations in accordance with the program guidelines and objectives, and will make a recommendation to the Associate Vice-President Research (Research Services) and the Vice-President Research on the nominations to be advanced. Only one nomination for each of the Impact Awards noted above may be forwarded to SSHRC for consideration. The selected nominees/nominators will be notified by Tuesday March 15, 2016 so that the final nomination packages may be prepared.