For More Information
Please visit the program’s website for further information.
SSHRC Impact Awards are designed to build on & sustain Canada’s research-based knowledge culture in the social sciences & humanities. The awards recognize outstanding researchers & celebrate their achievements in research, research training, knowledge mobilization & outreach activities funded partially or completely by SSHRC. Award funds are to be used for activities that promote & extend the work being honoured. In recognition of the crucial role that postsecondary institutions play as researchers’ knowledge mobilization partners, a minimum of 10 per cent of each award must to be used to promote the research achievements of the recipient.
Each institution may submit only one nomination for each award in a given year. The Office of Research Services will hold a competition for four of the SSHRC Impact Awards:
- Gold Medal ($100,000), SSHRC’s highest research honour, awarded to individuals whose sustained leadership, dedication & originality of thought have inspired students & colleagues alike. Recipients’ achievements in research will have significantly advanced understanding in their research fields in the social sciences & humanities. The exceptional quality of their research, the impact of their work & their ongoing efforts to share the results of this work will have greatly enriched Canadian society & contributed to social, cultural, economic & intellectual life in Canada &/or internationally.
- Insight Award ($50,000) recognizesoutstandingachievement arising from a research project funded partially or completely by SSHRC. It is given to an individual or team whose project has resulted in significant contribution to knowledge & understanding about people, societies & the world. The project’s research outcomes must have led to demonstrable impact within &/or beyond the academic community.
- Connection Award ($50,000) recognizes an outstanding SSHRC-funded initiative to facilitate the flow & exchange of research knowledge within &/or beyond the academic community. It is given to an individual or team whose project has engaged the campus &/or wider community, & has generated intellectual, cultural, social &/or economic impacts. In the case of a team project, the nominee must be the applicant for the initiative.
- Partnership Award ($50,000) recognizes a SSHRC-funded formal partnership for its outstandingachievement in advancing research, research training or knowledge mobilization, or developing a new partnership approach to research &/or related activities. It is awarded to a partnership that, through mutual co-operation & shared intellectual leadership & resources, has demonstrated impact & influence within &/or beyond the social sciences & humanities research community. In the case of a partnership project, the nominee must be the project director.
A nominee must:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada at the time of nomination;
- be an active social sciences & humanities researcher or student;
- hold or have held SSHRC funding pertinent to the award category;
- be in good standing with SSHRC;
- be affiliated with an institution eligible to administer SSHRC funds; &f the recipient of an award, maintain affiliation with an institution eligible to administer SSHRC funds
- cannot nominate themselves;
- can be nominated in two sequential years for the same award, following which two years must pass before they can next be nominated in the same category;
- can be nominated in only one category in any year; &
- can be nominated in a subsequent year for a different SSHRC Impact Award
Note: Current members of SSHRC’s governing council are not eligible to be nominated.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
to Office of Research Services: Please submit your Nomination Package to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 11, 2015
For nominations selected to be forwarded to SSHRC
Please submit your Final Nomination Package, along with an OR-5 Form to the Office of Research Services at email@example.com by April 1, 2015.
to sponsor: The Office of Research Services will mail final nomination packages to meet SSHRC’s deadline of April 8, 2015.
How to Apply
Each college is invited to submit up to two (2) nominations for each of the Gold Medal, Insight, Connection & Partnership Awards to the Office of Research Services, by Wednesday, March 11, 2015. Interested researchers should contact their Associate Dean of Research as soon as possible to explore nomination development. For full information on the nomination requirements, please refer to the SSHRC website, in particular the section on “The Nomination Package”. Nomination packages should be forwarded by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Review process: The Office of Research Services will review all nominations in accordance with the program guidelines & objectives, & will make a recommendation to the Associate Vice-President Research (Research Services) & the Vice-President Research on the nominations to be advanced. Only one nomination for each of the Impact Awards noted above may be forwarded to SSHRC for consideration. The selected nominees will be notified by Monday, March 23, 2015 so that the final nomination packages may be prepared.