United Way Campaign on Track to Meet Goal
November 14, 2007 - Campus Bulletin
The U of G community is well on its way to meeting --- and exceeding --- the $400,000 goal of the 2007 campus United Way campaign. To date, more than $356,000 has been raised through pledges and special fundraising events.
Campus co-chairs Irene Thompson, associate director of residence life, Prof. Jim Atkinson, Animal and Poultry Science, and undergraduate student Latham French are full of confidence that U of G will exceed the goal during the nine-week campaign, which wraps up Nov. 30.
“Our success depends on volunteer canvassers who distribute pledge forms across campus and a generous response from staff and faculty,” says Thompson.
Departments across campus are hosting a range of fundraisers in support of the United Way. Upcoming events include:
• Nov. 15, 6 to 9 p.m. — The library's UW campaign will receive 10 per cent of your book purchases at Chapters. Just mention that you're a University of Guelph employee.
• Nov. 23 — Students are hosting a red and white ball to support the United Way.
• Nov. 23 — Last date to match the baby pictures with faculty and staff in the Department of Chemistry.
• Nov. 27 — Draw date for a raffle in Human Resources. Tickets are $2 or three for $5.
• Nov. 29 — Draw date for a holiday-themed raffle sponsored by Co-operative Education and Career Services. Tickets are $1 or three for $2.
• Nov. 30 — Draw date for watercolour paintings of campus by Lillian Rosendal sponsored by the Department of Pathobiology. Tickets are $2 or three for $5.
All this month when you visit a Guelph Dairy Queen and return your receipt to Robin Ruda in Hospitality Services, 10 per cent of your purchase will go to the United Way. And don't forget the Dec. 5 grand-prize draw for either a refund on your U of G parking pass or a weekend package to the Stage West Theatre in Mississauga, donated by Goliger's Travel Plus.
More information about the campaign is available online.