Ten to Receive Honorary Degrees at Summer Convocation
June 04, 2012 - News Release
Renowned environmental activist David Suzuki and comedian and television personality Rick Mercer are among 10 people who will receive honorary degrees from the University of Guelph during summer convocation.
Other recipients will include George Cohon, founder of McDonald’s Canada, and Stanley Coren, dog psychologist and author.
Convocation on the main campus runs June 11 to 14, mostly in War Memorial Hall. More than 3,300 degrees and diplomas will be presented. Honorary degree recipients will deliver convocation addresses.
Honorary degrees will be presented to:
• Tony Arrell, U of G graduate, and chairman and CEO of Burgundy Asset Management, a top-tier international investment management firm;
• George Cohon, founder of McDonald’s restaurants in Canada and Russia, and a philanthropist and humanitarian;
• Stanley Coren, psychology professor, neuropsychological researcher and bestselling author of books on the intelligence and history of dogs;
• Ian Dohoo, U of G graduate, veterinary epidemiologist and founding member of the Atlantic Veterinary College;
• Rick Mercer, star of CBC TV’s The Rick Mercer Report and social advocate for issues such as youth voting and environmental sustainability;
• Motilal Madan, global veterinarian renowned for efforts to better people, animals and the environment in India;
• Sylvia Maracle, executive director of the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres and advocate for urban Aboriginal people;
• John McDermott, U of G graduate and advocate for use of livestock to improve lives in developing countries;
• David Suzuki, environmental activist, renowned geneticist and science advocate, and former host of CBC TV’s The Nature of Things; and
• Wendy Swedlove, president of the Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council.
Convocation ceremonies will take place as follows:
Monday, June 11
9 a.m., College of Social and Applied Human Sciences (CSAHS).
11:30 a.m., CSAHS. Geography professor William Nickling will be named University professor emeritus and will address graduands.
2 p.m., CSAHS. Mercer honorary doctorate.
4:30 p.m., graduate students from all colleges except the Ontario Agricultural College (OAC) and the Ontario Veterinary College (OVC). Arrell honorary doctorate.
7 p.m., CSAHS.
Tuesday, June 12
9 a.m., College of Management and Economics (CME). Maracle honorary doctorate.
11:30 a.m., CME. Swedlove honorary doctorate.
2 p.m., CME. Cohon honorary doctorate.
4:30 p.m., graduate students from OAC and OVC. Madan honorary doctorate.
7 p.m., College of Physical and Engineering Science. Dohoo honorary doctorate.
Wednesday, June 13
9 a.m., B.Sc. (Env.), including SES/OAC, CBS, CME, CPES and CSAHS and College of Biological Science
1:30 p.m., OVC, Rozanski Hall. McDermott honorary doctorate. Population medicine professor David Waltner-Toews will be named University professor emeritus.
4:30 p.m., College of Arts (COA). David Mirvish will be installed as chancellor.
Thursday, June 14
9 a.m., College of Biological Science (CBS). Suzuki honorary doctorate.
2 p.m., OAC.
4:30 p.m., OAC.
7 p.m., CSAHS. Coren honorary doctorate.
Friday, June 15
11:30 a.m., CBS.
2 p.m., CBS.
4:30 p.m., COA,
7 p.m., COA.
For media questions, contact Communications and Public Affairs: Lori Bona Hunt, 519-824-4120, Ext. 53338, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Shiona Mackenzie, Ext. 56982, or email@example.com.