The John F. Wood Centre MakerSpace provides University of Guelph students with the tools they need to start prototyping. We strive to develop innovators and entrepreneurs and we love inspiring students' creativity and collaboration. The MakerSpace is a fun, accessible, engaging, and inviting space for University of Guelph students to collaborate and explore their ideas.
The MakerSpace is currently closed as we prepare for the Fall semester. If you require assistance with a prototype or regular MakerSpace services, please send us an email and we will be in touch.
Sign up for an account on Discord to meet other U of G innovators and entrepreneurs!
Who can access the space?
The MakerSpace is available for any student, staff, faculty, or alumni!
How do I access?
Until Winter 2022, the only way to access the space is through our virtual portal which is available 24/7 Our physical space is located at 363 Gordon Street, Guelph. This is right beside the Second Cup at Gordon and College St.
When can I access?
The virtual space is available 24/7.
Cricut Maker 3
Cut out your own shapes, labels, letters and more, to stick to your own mugs, glasses, or whatever you can think of! This machine cuts 300+ materials from the most delicate fabric and paper to matboard and leather. The MakerSpace has some of these materials, but if you would like a specific item make sure to let the team know if your request before renting the equipment.
Makey Makey Kit
An invention kit designed to connect everyday objects to computer keys.
A tiny computer that you can use to learn programming through fun, practical projects.
3D Doodle Pens
A pen that allows you to make 3D plastic models of anything you want! The pen extrudes warmed plastic from the nozzle. No software is needed and there are no files to transfer
An easy to set up microphone for recording online content whether it be podcasts, youtube videos, your own music, and more!
An open source electronic prototyping platform enabling users to create interactive electronic objects
3D Printer (Style Cubicon)
- A 3D printer using PLA filament to create whatever 3D work you need! The bed size of this printer is 150 x 150 x 150 mm.
- Send in your files to have us print for you, or if you’re looking to play around with a printer yourself, get in touch and book time to use our printer!
A 4k video and picture-based camera with the ability to capture crystal clear footage
This includes things like play dough, crayons, pencil crayons, colored paper and more
Famous building blocks. Need we say more?
Silk Screen Press
Have a design you want to imprint onto clothing? This machine will help with that!
- Until January 2022, the 3D printer can be used in person on the 3rd floor of Macdonald Hall in Room 327 under supervision of a staff member. Contact us to book a time to use the printer Monday to Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm: WoodCentre@uoguelph.ca
- After January 2022, the 3D printer can be used in person at the official MakerSpace location: 363 Gordon Street, Guelph
All other equipment:
All other equipment listed above can be rented for use off campus with payment taken via a security deposit. See rental costs below.
For most equipment other than the 3D Printer:
You can rent all of the above equipment by simply paying a security deposit. The price of each rental varies, depending on the value of the equipment. Get in touch with us to find out more. Security deposits will range anywhere from $50-200 depending on the item.
- Students that want to use the 3D printers much purchase their own filament