Bank of Canada
The Governor’s Award provides financial support to academics who are recognized for their expertise and research in areas important to the Bank's core functions.
The award is for a term of up to two years and is subject to an annual review and confirmation process.
Program details and timeline are not yet confirmed. This information will be updated when the program launches.
Governor’s Award nominees are required to:
- be Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, or be otherwise legally permitted to work in Canada
- conduct and support research in Canada (nominations where the preponderance of the research is in Canada could also be considered)
- have obtained a PhD within ten years of their nomination
- be employed by a Canadian university in an associate or assistant professor position during the term of the Award
The selection criteria used to assess eligible nominations includes:
- demonstrated excellence and innovation in the nominee’s work as indicated by publications of refereed and other articles as well as citations and references (i.e., commentaries/critiques), other research outputs, awards, and recognition by peers
- demonstrated leadership within the discipline and/or academic institution(s) as indicated by mentoring, committee roles, collaboration, contribution to the education and development of new researchers, etc.
- applicability to Bank of Canada policy development and/or research, as indicated in a match of the nominee's written work and research plan with Bank plans and priorities; and as expressed in the nomination materials
The award consists of a research grant of $30,000 per year per recipient for a term of up to two years, and is subject to an annual review and confirmation process.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the sponsor by the external deadline. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to email@example.com
How to Apply
The Vice-President (Research) encourages nominations for this prestigious award, and will serve as nominator for those nominees recommended by the Honours and Awards Advisory Committee. If you wish to nominate a colleague or to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal deadline.
An Expression of Interest will include:
- A draft letter (two-three pages) addressed to the VPR, signed by your ADR, which outlines how you/your nominee meets the criteria outlined on the Bank of Canada Governor's Award website.
- An up-to-date CV for nominee (and each member of the team, if applicable)
If your nomination will be submitted by a different nominee, and therefore does not require the Vice-President's endorsement, please submit an OR-5 and a complete nomination to email@example.com by the external deadline.