American Diabetes Association
The Banting Medal for Scientific Achievement is the highest scientific award of the American Diabetes Association. Given in memory of Sir Frederick Banting, a medical scientist, doctor and Nobel laureate who is noted as one of the key investigators in the discovery of insulin, the Banting Medal is awarded annually to honor highly meritorious career achievement in the field of diabetes research.
Recipient will deliver the Banting Lecture in person at the 83rd Scientific Sessions in San Diego, CA, June 23–27, 2023. Recipient will also be offered the opportunity to publish their lecture in an American Diabetes Association scientific journal.
- Nominee will have demonstrated highly original, sustained and reproducible scholarship that has made major contributions to the understanding of diabetes, its treatment and/or prevention
- Nominee must have MD, PhD, MD/PhD degree or equivalent.
- Both U.S. and non-U.S. residents are eligible for award.
- Contributions and volunteer service to both national and international diabetes organizations and the broader diabetes community may also be taken into consideration.
- The recipient receives a $20,000 honorarium.
- Award includes two round-trip coach airfares and hotel accommodations for up to 7-nights and other travel related expenses.
- Includes complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online, using the application form provided on the Banting Medal website. Please also submit an OR-5 and a completed application to email@example.com by the external deadline.
As this is an international prize, the University may engage the Global Excellence Initiative to coordinate external review of nominations. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in ORS support.