Canadian Blood Services
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the program's websites for:
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
The Postdoctoral Fellowship Program provides salary support on a competitive basis to highly qualified candidates in the field of blood transfusion and transplantation science in Canada. The value of each Fellowship is related to the major degree(s) and experience the applicant holds.
The proposed project for the Postdoctoral Fellowship Program must be aligned with one or more of the research priorities identified below. Proposals that are not relevant to any of these priorities will not be considered for funding.
- Promoting appropriate blood product utilization.
- Ensuring an adequate blood product supply.
- Minimizing the adverse effects of blood product transfusion.
- Optimizing blood product quality.
- Replacing or improving blood products through new therapies or technologies.
The Fellowship offers support based on current Canadian Institute of Health Research rates for each of the possible three years, as well as a one-time research allowance of $20,000.
- Applicants must hold a relevant prerequisite degree (Ph.D., M.D., D.D.S., or D.V.M.) from a recognized academic institution.
- Applicants must be within five (5) years of completing their prerequisite degree.
- Applicants’ proposed research must be relevant to one or more of the research priorities described in Section I of these Guidelines.
- Applicants must secure the sponsorship of a primary academic supervisor who is either a Canadian Blood Services Scientist/Investigator, a Canadian Blood Services Adjunct Scientist, or a Medical Officer/Director (blood.ca/en/research/our-team).
- Applicants must not hold the Postdoctoral Fellowship with their Ph.D. supervisor.
- Applicants must not hold another competitive salary or stipend award at the same time as the Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- There is a limit of one Postdoctoral Fellowship awarded per laboratory per competition, and a maximum of two Postdoctoral Fellowship awarded per laboratory at any one time.
Maximum Project Value
The salary support for:
- Trainees with a PhD degree is $40,000 CDN (plus benefits) per annum.
- Health Professionals who hold licensure (full or educational) in Canada and have less than two (2) years of research or clinical training experience is $40,000 CDN (plus benefits) per annum. Upon completion of two years of postgraduate research training, the awardee may be eligible to receive an increase to $50,000 CDN (plus benefits) per annum.
- Health professionals who hold licensure (full or educational) in Canada and have two (2) or more years of research or clinical training experience is $50,000 CDN (plus benefits) per annum.
- Health professionals who do not hold licensure in Canada is $21,000 CDN (plus benefits) per annum. Upon completion of two years of postgraduate research training, the awardee may be eligible to receive an increase to $40,000 CDN (plus benefits) per annum.
Please refer to the Office of Research COVID 19 web-page for directives related to research activities at the University of Guelph.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.