Exceptional Opportunities Fund - COVID-19
Through this Exceptional Opportunities Fund – COVID-19 competition, the CFI will invest up to $25 million with the objective of supporting urgent needs for equipment for ongoing research related to COVID-19.
Up to five researchers may be listed on the proposal to either work collaboratively using the same requested infrastructure, or to work independently while sharing the requested infrastructure. For the latter, the CFI requires that the justification for the infrastructure be articulated for each researcher. The researchers listed in the proposal must be:
- Recognized leaders in areas of research related to COVID-19;
- Currently engaged in research or technology development activities related to COVID-19 that are innovative, feasible and meet international standards.
Eligible infrastructure projects
To qualify for this funding opportunity, a project must meet the following requirements:
- The infrastructure component must be an indispensable element of an ongoing research project related to COVID-19.
- The infrastructure component must be acquired at the latest by March 31, 2021
Maximum Project Value
Eligible institutions can submit proposals requesting between $200,000 and $1.5 million from the CFI.
Institutions can submit their proposals between June 1, 2020, and June 15, 2020, in the CFI Awards Management System (CAMS). During that time, the CFI will receive proposals up to a total value of $31.25 million (125 percent of the available budget). Once that limit is reached, the competition will close and the application module will no longer be available in CAMS.
Please refer to the Office of Research COVID 19 web-page for directives related to research activities at the University of Guelph.
How to Apply
- Inform your ADR and CRM of your intent to apply. They will provide guidance on the institutional letter of support.
- Complete and submit the full application (all modules, including financial) in CAMS, the CFI Awards Management System.
- Submit PDF of "Project" and "Finance" modules to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with a signed OR-5..
To expedite application to this extraordinary opportunity, ORS and RFS have made changes to our usual review processes. Vendor quotes and the usual CFI spreadsheet are not required. Draft proposals are not required.
- For information on the program, see Exceptional Opportunities Fund - COVID 19 Guidelines.
- For detailed information on eligible/ineligible expenses, see the CFI Policy and Program Guide