Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR).
This program is generously supported by the Azrieli Foundation and the Love Family Leadership Development Fund.
The CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program provides funding and support to help Scholars build their network and develop essential skills to become the next generation of research leaders.
CIFAR invites exceptional early career researchers to participate in CIFAR's network of more than 400 researchers from over 22 countries, who together are pursuing answers to some of the most complex challenges facing the world today. The CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program provides funding, skills training, mentorship, and opportunities to collaborate with outstanding colleagues from diverse disciplines, positioning scholars as research leaders and agents of change.
Applicants can be from anywhere in the world, must hold a PhD (or equivalent) and be within the first five years of a full-time academic position. Applicants’ research interests must be aligned with the themes of a CIFAR research program recruiting in 2021-2023:
- Brain, Mind & Consciousness
- Fields including, but not limited to: Cognitive Neuroscience, Philosophy of Mind, Ethics, Developmental Psychology
- Humans & the Microbiome
- Fields including, but not limited to: Microbiology, Anthropology
- Fungal Kingdom: Threats & Opportunities
- Fields including, but not limited to: Microbiology, Earth & Planetary Science, Molecular Genetics
- Innovation, Equity & the Future of Prosperity
- Fields including, but not limited to: Political Science, Sociology, Ethics, Social Policy
- Boundaries, Membership & Belonging
- Fields including, but not limited to: Political Science, Sociology, Ethics, Anthropology
- Earth 4D: Subsurface Science & Exploration
- Fields including, but not limited to: Geochemistry, Earth & Planetary Science
Additional program descriptions may be found in the "Program Descriptions for Applicants" document.
NOTE: Postdoctoral fellows are not eligible to apply.
- $100,000 CAD in unrestricted research support
- A two-year term in a CIFAR research program, a global network of top-tier research leaders. Learn what it's like to be a CIFAR Fellow
- Opportunities to network, collaborate and form a community with colleagues from diverse disciplines
- Mentorship from a senior researcher within a CIFAR research program
- Specialized leadership and communication skills training, and support to put their skills into action
During the two-year term of their award, Global Scholars are expected to:
- Attend CIFAR research program meetings (usually 2-3 per year, depending on the program) in Canada and various locations around the world. While at meetings and where appropriate, interact and collaborate with fellow program members on research areas of common interest to the program.
- Attend annual CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar meetings (usually in held in early May). CIFAR expects that each Scholar will attend two in-person annual meetings, dependent on travel restrictions due to the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic.
- Report on successes and activities annually, and where possible and appropriate, interact with CIFAR stakeholders and funders to share their experience.
- Acknowledge CIFAR as a funder in research publications and presentations supported by the program’s funding, use ‘CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar’ in their professional signature, and indicate CIFAR as an affiliation.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online, using the application form provided on the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars website.
Application criteria may be found in the 2020/2021 "Detailed Program Overview" document.
Please submit an OR-5 and a completed application to email@example.com by the external deadline.