Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR)
AI and COVID-19 Catalyst Grants
CIFAR is issuing a targeted call for AI and COVID-19 interdisciplinary research collaborations to spark innovative, high-risk/high-reward ideas and projects. CIFAR’s Catalyst Program provides seed funding for time-limited activities.
Sample topics may include: pathogenicity and/or transmission of COVID-19, AI tools to accelerate vaccine development, or AI applications to advance our understanding of the economic impacts of the COVID-19, among others.
Examples of eligible catalyst-supported activities include, but are not limited to:
- Pilot projects
- Interdisciplinary projects involving trainees
- Large-scale, team-based grant proposal development
- Proposals must be submitted jointly by at least two Principal Investigators
- Must not exceed one page (approx. 500 words).
- Title and brief description of the project or activity
- Proposed start date of the activity
- Name(s) of co-supervised trainee(s) (if applicable/known)
- Estimated budget (not to exceed $15,000 CAD)
Proposal should describe the potential:
- Impact on society;
- Understanding of an aspect of COVID-19;
- Impact on career development for trainees; and
Proposals will be reviewed and recommended for funding by CIFAR’s program advisory committee members and international college of reviewers.
Maximum Project Value
Up to $15,000.
Please refer to the Office of Research COVID 19 web-page for directives related to research activities at the University of Guelph.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
For more information on the CIFAR AI Catalyst Grant and how to apply, please visit their website. Successful applicants will be notified on April 6, 2020.