Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR)
CIFAR Solution Networks
For More Information
CIFAR is launching a call for solution networks focused on the theme of AI for health in Canada. CIFAR will provide sustained support to a diverse interdisciplinary research and development network to create innovative approaches to urgent problems in the implementation of responsible AI in the health sector. They seek networks that aim to solve challenges and barriers to the adoption of responsible AI within health systems. CIFAR Solution Networks is a collaborative initiative for interdisciplinary teams led by a core group of up to six individuals. Each team works together to develop approaches and applications to current challenges and opportunities to support the implementation of beneficial and responsible AI.
Proposals that address the following will be of interest:
- health data and AI ethics, trust, fairness, security, and/or privacy;
- health data and AI interoperability, coordination, integration, collaboration and exchange;
- health data and AI accountability and governance; and
- other topics related to the implementation of responsible AI in the health sector.
The Solution Network should be made up of an interdisciplinary and cross-sectoral team and must:
- be led by two co-directors and composed of up to four additional members (all members must be affiliated with a Canadian organization/institution);
- include at least one computer/data scientist from a Canadian university or research hospital;
- include at least one expert in the legal, ethical, or policy implications of AI;
- have at least one member based in the setting where the solution will be implemented;
- achieve equity, diversity and inclusion in the team composition.
It is strongly encouraged that teams include a Canada CIFAR AI Chair in their composition. Proposals whose primary goal is to drive new knowledge or understanding in order to advance a field of study or that focus solely on technical solutions (e.g. improving machine learning algorithms) will not be considered.
The successful Solution Network will receive:
- $60,000 per year for each co-director (up to two) and $25,000 per year for each core team member (up to four) to support R&D related to the Network;
- up to $60,000 for each year to support costs directly associated with advancing the network’s solution;
- financial and logistical support to enable a minimum of two interactions per year (in-person or virtually) between members of the Network and external experts.
CIFAR will provide dedicated, flexible funding support for eligible research and development (R&D) activities over three years to design, develop, test, and implement a novel and successful solution network.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
How to Apply
All EOIs must be submitted in English or French through the online application system by the first external deadline.
Applicants that have been invited to submit full proposals will be notified by Monday, December 19, 2022, 11:59 pm EST. If chosen to move forward, please submit a copy of the full application and signed OR-5 to firstname.lastname@example.org two weeks before the second external deadline.
Full proposals must be submitted through the online application system by the second external deadline.