Canadian Institutes of Health Research
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the CIHR Funding Opportunity Details website for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
CIHR’s Health Research Training Strategy aims to equip research trainees so that they emerge from their training as scientific, professional, or organizational leaders within and beyond the health research enterprise. Generating Research Leaders of tomorrow is a key objective for CIHR.
Fellowships provide support for highly qualified applicants in all areas of health research at the post-PhD degree or post-health professional degree stages to add to their experience by engaging in health research either in Canada or abroad.
The specific objectives of this funding opportunity are:
- To provide recognition and funding to academic health research trainees;
- To provide a reliable supply of highly skilled and qualified researchers.
Relevant Research Areas
Additional funds are available through this competition to support Fellowship award applications in the following specific research areas:
- As of the application deadline, the Nominated Principal Applicant must be a trainee (and maintain such status throughout the award duration) and meet the minimum commitment of 75% of their time in the proposed research training (Research + Course Work) throughout the tenure of their award. Note: For the purpose of this funding opportunity, trainees cannot hold or be on leave from an independent research position.
- A primary supervisor must be identified on the application. An additional supervisor may also be identified.
- As of the application deadline, the Nominated Principal Applicant must hold or be completing a PhD or a regulated health professional degree. The Nominated Principal Applicant must expect to complete all of the requirements of the degree by the latest possible date on which they can take up their award (see Conditions of Funding). To determine if a particular health professional degree is eligible, please consult the list of Eligible Health Professions.
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada are eligible to hold a CIHR Fellowship award in Canada or abroad. Nominated Principal Applicants who are neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada may only hold a CIHR Fellowship award at a Canadian institution.
- A recipient of a CIHR doctoral–level award with a health professional degree may apply to the Fellowship funding opportunity no earlier than during the last year of their award. If a recipient of a CIHR doctoral–level award with a health professional degree applies to the Fellowship funding opportunity for doctoral support before the last year of the doctoral award, funding for the currently-held doctoral award will be cancelled as of the first potential effective date of the Fellowship award, even if the application is not successful through the Fellowship funding opportunity.
- The Nominated Principal Applicant may submit only one (1) application per year (September 1 to August 31) for funding from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC). However, individuals eligible to apply to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program or the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program may also submit an application to the CIHR Fellowship program (other exceptions may apply depending on the program’s objectives, but would be indicated in the specific funding opportunities).
- The Nominated Principal Applicant must complete one of CIHR’s three interactive modules on sex and gender in research and include the completion certificate with their CIHR Fellowship application (see How to Apply section for further details).
Maximum Project Value
The maximum amount awarded for a single award is up to $60,000 per year. The value and duration of each award is determined by the degree(s) held, licensure (where applicable), location of tenure and experience of the applicant.
The annual stipend level for:
- Trainees with a PhD degree is $40,000 per annum.
- Health Professionals who hold licensure (full or educational) in Canada and have less than two (2) years of research or clinical training experience since the completion of their health professional degree is $40,000 per annum. Upon completion of two (2) years of postgraduate research training, the awardee may be eligible to receive a stipend increase to the higher level.
- Health Professionals who hold licensure (full or educational) in Canada and have two (2) or more years of research or clinical training experience since the completion of their health professional degree is $50,000 per annum.
- Health professionals who do not hold licensure in Canada is $21,000 per annum. Upon completion of two (2) years of postgraduate research training, the stipend may increase to $40,000 per annum.
For awards physically held outside Canada, $5,000 is added to the annual stipend.
Research allowance: $5,000 per annum.
Supplement: The Alice Wilson Award
A $1,000 award is offered yearly by the Royal Society of Canada (RSC) to three women of outstanding academic qualifications entering a career in scholarship or research at the postdoctoral level via a Tri-Agency fellowship program. CIHR will seek the consent of top-ranked women who accept a CIHR Fellowship to share their information as potential nominees to the RSC, who will make the final determination and inform successful candidates upon completion of their selection process.
More information is available on the Royal Society of Canada website.
The maximum duration of support, taking into account all Tri-Agency federal funding held1, will depend on the degree(s) held by the applicant. For holders of a:
- PhD degree, or PhD and health professional degrees, the maximum period of support is three (3) years minus the duration of any previous Tri-Agency support held at the postdoctoral level.
- Health professional degree who are not requesting support to pursue a graduate degree, the maximum period of support is four (4) years minus the duration of any previous Tri-Agency funding held at the postgraduate level.
- Health professional degree who are requesting support to pursue a graduate degree, the maximum period of support to complete the degree is five (5) years minus the duration of any previous Tri-Agency funding held at the postgraduate level.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applicant to submit copy of application, routing slip and signature page along with a complete OR5 form signed by the supervisor to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicant must hit the 'submit' button on or before the internal deadline for your application to not be considered late.
To complete your application, follow the instructions in the Fellowship Awards - Application Instructions
This Funding Opportunity participates in the eApproval process. As such, once submitted the application will be electronically directed to the proposed Institution Paid for review and approval. The eApproval process allows Administrators at the Institution to review and electronically approve an application for which the applicant has identified their institution as the Institution Paid. Once the application is reviewed and approved by the Institution, it will be submitted electronically to CIHR on behalf of the applicant.
How to Apply
To complete your application, follow the instructions in the Fellowship Awards - Application Instructions.
- Important: Please read all instructions to familiarize yourself with the application process before applying.
- Consult the CIHR Fellowship – Frequently Asked Questions.
In order to ensure fairness in the evaluation of applications, CIHR will not accept updates to applications after the application deadline.