Guelph Institute for Environmental Research (GIER)
Small Grants Program (SGP) 2019-20
The Guelph Institute for Environmental Research (GIER) is pleased to launch the 2019-2020 Small Grants Program (SGP). GIER seeks to promote interdisciplinary research and scholarship relating to any aspect of the environment among investigators from all seven Colleges at the University of Guelph.
The GIER SGP will have two goals in line with the strategic goals of GIER:
(1) Enhance the reputation of the University of Guelph with respect to environmental research and scholarship; and
(2) Support the development of interdisciplinary environmental research.
Environmental research and scholarship is construed broadly, and refers to work that examines: environmental processes, functions, services, and values; environmental technologies and technological impacts on the environment; environmental policy formation and analysis; environmental health; human relationships with, and cultural understandings of the environment; and artistic engagement with the environment, among others.
Tenured or tenure-track faculty at the University of Guelph may apply for a small grant to support any environmental research or scholarship that supports the strategic goals of GIER.
Researchers may seek funds in support of:
- Collaborative, interdisciplinary grant proposal development in environmental research and scholarship
- Matching funds for environmental-themed grant proposals to external funders, particularly for interdisciplinary projects
- Direct costs of environmental research/scholarship, including:
- Salary/stipend support for Highly Qualified Personnel –undergraduate students, graduate students, or postdocs;
- Data collection, including travel for fieldwork, research supplies, etc;
- Knowledge mobilization activities, such as:
- Workshops or conferences hosted at UofG;
- Other knowledge translation and mobilization activities
Because of the goals and timeline of these grants, investigators generally may not seek funds for:
- Infrastructure and equipment purchases
- Publication costs
- Conference travel
- Course release
Total funding available for SGP for 2019-20 is $105,000.
Maximum Project Value
Up to but not exceeding $15,000 per application.
Funds must be spent within 1 year of notification of the award. The start date must be no later than April 1, 2020 (funds can be applied retroactively to as early as January 1, 2020)
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit the Application to email@example.com by January 30, 2020 with the subject heading “SMALL GRANTS PROGRAM”. Late applications or those that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be evaluated.
Successful applicants will need to complete an OR-5 form and agree to the terms of the award (including reporting requirements).
How to Apply
Please see the word document form linked in the 'Attachments' below for application instructions. Please send the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 30, 2020 with the subject heading “SMALL GRANTS PROGRAM”. Late applications or those that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be evaluated. Successful applicants will need to complete an OR-5 form and agree to the terms of the award (including reporting requirements).