Canada Gairdner Foundation
The John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award recognizes the world’s top scientists who have made outstanding achievements in Global Health Research. Since its inception, the Global Health Award has grown significantly to become one of the world’s most prestigious awards recognizing excellence in global health research.
This award recognizes a scientist whose advances have (or will potentially have) a significant impact on health outcomes in the developing world.
Program details and timeline are not yet confirmed. This information will be updated when the program launches.
Nomination guidelines are available at John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award Nomination Guidelines.
- Nominees should be individuals who have made major scientific advances with a significant impact on health outcomes in the developing world.
- The award is science-focused, and is not intended for those with primarily leadership and administrative accomplishments.
- Gairdner invites the scientific community to nominate qualified scientists from any branch of global health.
- The evaluation of the contributions of the nominees depends heavily on the quality of information supplied. Therefore, nominations should be accurate, detailed, current, complete, and with supporting letters reflecting the nominee’s accomplishments.
- Award recipients are required to attend the Canada Gairdner Awards dinner and expected to participate in the National Program that takes place across Canada.
The Prize is valued at $100,000 CAD, an award citation, and a commemorative item will also be presented.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the Gairdner Nominations Portal by the external deadline. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
The Vice-President (Research) encourages nominations for this award, and will serve as nominator for those nominees recommended by the Honours and Awards Advisory Committee. If you wish to nominate a colleague or to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to email@example.com by the internal deadline.
An Expression of Interest will include:
- A draft letter (two-three pages) addressed to the VPR, signed by your ADR, which outlines how you/your nominee meets the criteria outlined on the John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award website.
- an up-to-date CV (up to 10 pages) for nominee (and each member of the team, if applicable)
If your nomination will be submitted by a different nominee, and therefore does not require the Vice-President's endorsement, please submit an OR-5 and a complete nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by the external deadline.
For more information, contact email@example.com or see the John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award Nomiation Guidelines.