For More Information
Materials for Mitacs Accelerate
- Student Guide
- Professor Guide
- Conflict of Interest Declaration
- Intern CV Template
Mitacs Accelerate allows students to work closely with a partner organization and faculty supervisor, using the latest tools and techniques available to them in both academic and industrial settings. Projects are a cost-shared model with Mitacs, through the support of federal and provincial government, matching the industry partners or non-for-profit (NFP) organizations contributions.
- Full-time grad students at all Canadian universities
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and international students
- All academic disciplines
- Businesses and not-for-profit organizations
- Students must spend 50% of the internship with the academic institution and 50% with the partner organization
Maximum Project Value
Interns are provided with a stipend/salary starting at $10,000 per four-month period. Typically, internships are approved for a total of $15,000, including a minimum $10,000 stipend and maximum $5,000 in research costs with $7,500 coming from the industry partner matched with $7,500 from Mitacs.
Master’s students can complete up to four internship units. PhD students can complete up to eight internship units. Postdoctoral fellows can complete up to nine internship units. Each 'internship unit' is designated as four months.
Graduate students seeking longer-term funding can also apply to Mitacs Accelerate Fellowship funding.
Note: There is a six- to eight-week peer review prior to approval for internship start.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. OR-5, full proposal/budget and signed Mitacs Memorandum must be submitted to the Office of Research (email@example.com) a minimum of one week prior to the intended submission date to Mitacs.
Applicant submits full application, including signed memorandum, directly to Mitacs representative. The submission must be planned at least six to eight weeks in advance of the proposed internship start date.
How to Apply
1. Review the following information when you begin writing your proposal:
2. Get feedback on the proposal from all participants and your Mitacs business development representative
3. Collect all required signatures: intern(s), professor(s), partner contact, and Office of Research Services (proposal, OR-5 and signed Memorandum must be submitted to Office of Research one week prior to intended submission date to Mitacs)
4. Email your proposal package to your Mitacs representative once all signatures are obtained.