NSERC will be holding workshops on the creation of a “made-in-Canada” Athena SWAN initiative as announced in Budget 2018. NSERC has the lead on this initiative on behalf to the Councils.
The workshops will be held from September 24 to October 4, 2018 in various cities across the country:
· British Columbia: Vancouver, Monday, September 24, 2018, at University of British Columbia
· Alberta: Calgary, Tuesday, September 25, 2018, at the University of Calgary
· Manitoba: Winnipeg, Thursday, September 27, 2018 at the University of Manitoba
· Quebec: Montreal, Monday, October 1, 2018, at Université du Québec à Montréal
· Atlantic: Halifax, Wednesday, October 3, 2018, at Dalhousie University
· Ontario: Toronto, Thursday, October 4, 2018, at the Lassonde School of Engineering (York University)
The workshops will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The morning portion is an information session on the UK Athena SWAN experience, NSERC’s vision for a made-in-Canada model, and a Q&A session. The afternoon portion will feature breakout sessions during which participants will be invited to envision and discuss design and implementation options and issues for a Canadian model.
Athena SWAN was established in the United Kingdom to increase equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and help foster cultural change within the research ecosystem. Sound EDI-informed policies and practices increase access to the full pool of qualified potential participants, enhance the integrity of a post-secondary institution’s application and selection processes, and strengthen research outputs and the overall excellence of research.
NSERC hopes you can attend one of the workshops and share your insights on how they can best implement this initiative in Canada. Register at your earliest convenience but before Friday, September 21, 2018.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact NSERC at email@example.com.Click here to learn more about this alert