Science Exposed is a contest organized by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and devoted exclusively to images of scientific research, in all fields of study. In 2016, NSERC was proud to collaborate with the Association francophone pour le savoir (Acfas) and open La preuve par l'image to candidates all across Canada. Acfas is responsible for the Francophone segment of the contest, La prevue par l'image, and NSERC is responsible for the Anglophone segment, Science Exposed.
This contest is important because...
- Researchers create, capture and use images that are vital to scientific discussion, education, and knowledge dissemination.
- Images are a powerful way of teaching and communicating.
- Images are now ubiquitous in everyday life. Thanks to digital technology, the use of images has skyrocketed, especially on the Internet, which has become a highly visual learning medium.
- Researchers are being more frequently asked to share their work with the public, and images are an effective, relatable way to share scientific knowledge. They can convey emotion, beauty, and even surprise, while also fostering curiosity.
- Showcase images of Canadian research
- Foster interest in science and scientific curiosity in all audiences
- Build a database of scientific images of Canadian research
- Contribute to the advancement of knowledge and to new uses of scientific images
Eligible contestants must fit into any of the following categories:
- Student researchers at the Master's or doctoral level, or postdoctoral researchers.
- Research professors in a postsecondary institution or any other individual conducting research in a college, polytechnic, or university setting.
- Researchers in a public or private research centre.
Refer to full Eligibility guidelines for additional requirements.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
For More Information
For more information, contact NSERC at Comm@nserc-crsng.gc.ca