Government of Ontario
The Order of Ontario is the province’s highest honour. It is reserved for Ontarians from all fields of endeavour and backgrounds, whose excellence has left a lasting legacy in the province, Canada and beyond. Members of the Order are a collective of Ontario’s finest citizens, whose contributions have shaped – and continue to shape – the province’s history and place in Canada.
Members of the Order of Ontario are invested with their insignia by the Lieutenant Governor as the Queen’s representative.
Upon admission, members are invested with the Order’s insignia (a distinguishing mark or emblem worn to signify membership or achievement). Appointees are given the post-nominal letters, also called post-nominal initials or post-nominal titles (letters placed after a person’s name) to indicate the honour held by the individual.
To be eligible for the Order of Ontario, a nominee must be:
- a long-term or former resident of Ontario (the nominee does not need to be a Canadian citizen)
- someone whose career, in any field, has had a major impact or influence on the province, Canada or abroad
You cannot nominate:
- someone who is deceased
- an elected federal, provincial or municipal representative while they are in office
- a volunteer
- someone for acts of bravery
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the sponsor by the external deadline. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to email@example.com
How to Apply
The Vice-President (Research) encourages nominations for this prestigious award, and will serve as nominator for those nominees recommended by the Honours and Awards Advisory Committee. If you wish to nominate a colleague or to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) by the internal deadline.
An Expression of Interest will include:
- A draft letter (two-three pages) addressed to the VPR which outlines how you/your nominee meets the criteria outlined on the program website ;
- A short letter or email from your Associate Dean (Research) or College Research Manager indicating the College's support for the nomination; and
- an up-to-date CV (up to 10 pages) for the nominee (and each member of the team, if applicable).
If your nomination will be submitted by a different nominee, and therefore does not require the Vice-President's endorsement, please submit an OR-5 and complete nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by the external deadline.