Government of Ontario
The Order of Ontario is the province’s highest honour. It is reserved for Ontarians from all fields of endeavour and backgrounds, whose excellence has left a lasting legacy in the province, Canada and beyond. Members of the Order are a collective of Ontario’s finest citizens, whose contributions have shaped — and continue to shape — the province’s history and place in Canada.
Upon admission, members of the Order of Ontario are invested with the Order’s insignia (a distinguishing mark or emblem worn to signify membership or achievement) by the Lieutenant Governor as the Queen’s representative. Appointees are given the post-nominal letters, also called post-nominal initials or post-nominal titles (letters placed after a person’s name) to indicate the honour held by the individual.
Program details and timeline are not yet confirmed. This information will be updated when the program launches.
To be eligible for the Order of Ontario, a nominee must be:
- a long-term or former resident of Ontario (the nominee does not need to be a Canadian citizen)
- someone whose career, in any field, has had a major impact or influence on the province, Canada or abroad
You cannot nominate:
- someone who is deceased
- an elected federal, provincial or municipal representative while they are in office
- a sitting judge of any court
- one of Ontario's Legislative Officers while in office (Auditor General, Ombudsman, Information and Privacy Commissioner, Financial Accountability Officer, Integrity Commissioner, Chief Electoral Officer)
- a volunteer
- someone for acts of bravery
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Please submit the nomination directly to the Order of Ontario web-page, or by mail, by the external deadline. Please also submit a copy of the full nomination to email@example.com by the external deadline.
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online, using the application form provided on the Order of Ontario web-page by the external deadline.
If submitting the nomination by mail, send your form and supporting documents to:
Order of Ontario
Ontario Honours and Awards Secretariat
Ministry of Heritage, Sports, Tourism and Culture Industries
400 University Avenue, 5th Floor
Please also submit a copy of the nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by the external deadline.
For More Information
For more information contact email@example.com or see the Order of Ontario website.