The Royal Society of Canada
The RSC administers over 20 prestigious awards, most of which are awarded to those at various career stages in recognition of outstanding achievement. This is the list of Medals and Awards available in the 2021 competition.
- Alice Wilson Award (+ $1,000)
- An annual award to three women of outstanding academic qualifications in the Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences or Science who are entering a career in scholarship or research at the postdoctoral level.
- Sir John William Dawson Medal
- A biennial award for important contributions of knowledge in multiple domains. The award is made for important and sustained contributions in two domains of interest to the RSC or in interdisciplinary research.
- Henry Marshall Tory Medal
- A biennial award for outstanding research in any branch of astronomy chemistry, mathematics, physics, or an allied science, carried out mainly in the eight years preceding the date of the award.
- Rutherford Memorial Medal (Chemistry)
- Awarded annually for research in chemistry. Preference will be given to candidates under forty years old.
- Rutherford Memorial Medal (Physics)
- Awarded annually for research in physics. Preference will be given to candidates under forty years old
- McLaughlin Medal
- An annual award for important research of sustained excellence in any branch of medical sciences.
- Miroslaw Romanowsk Medal (+ $3,000)
- Awarded annually for contributions towards the resolution of scientific aspects of environmental problems or for important improvements to the quality of an ecosystem in all aspects - terrestrial, atmospheric and aqueous - brought about by scientific means.
Humanities and Social Sciences
- Jason A. Hannah Medal (+ $1,500)
- A biennial award for an important publication in the history of medicine. The award is for a book published in the five years preceding its nomination.
- Kitty Newman Award (+ $1,500)
- An annual award for outstanding contributions from an emerging scholar in the field of philosophy. The award is given for excellence in the field, which is broadly understood to include philosophy of culture, religion, law, ethics, and logic, or any other branch of philosophy deemed appropriate by the committee.
- Pierre Chauveau Medal
- This biennial medal is awarded for a distinguished contribution to knowledge in the humanities other than Canadian literature and Canadian history.
- Yvan Allaire Medal (+ $5,000)
- An annual award for outstanding contribution in governance (Social Sciences).
A nomination is required for an RSC Medal or Award. You can be nominated by a RSC Fellow or be nominated by the Institution (University of Guelph).
Candidates must be Canadian citizens or be a Permanent Resident for the past 3 years.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the sponsor by the external deadline. The Completed Nomination Form and accompanying documents should be emailed to email@example.com.
Please also submit a copy of the full nomination firstname.lastname@example.org Where the award also has a monetary value please include an OR-5 with the copy of the nomination to email@example.com.
How to Apply
The Vice-President (Research) encourages nominations for these prestigious awards, and will serve as nominator for those nominees recommended by the Honours and Awards Advisory Committee. If you wish to nominate a colleague or to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal deadline.
An Expression of Interest will include:
- A draft letter (two-three pages) addressed to the VPR, signed by your ADR, which outlines how you/your nominee meets the criteria outlined in the RSC Awards & Excellence Nomination Guide
- An up-to-date CV for the nominee (and each member of the team, if applicable)
If your nomination will be submitted by a RSC Fellow, and therefore does not require the Vice-President's endorsement, please submit a copy of the application (and an OR-5 where applicable) by the external deadline to email@example.com
Questions regarding the RSC Medal and Awards program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or (613) 991-6990 Ext. 106.