Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- computer science
- computational and evolutionary molecular biology
- ocean sciences
The Sloan Research fellowships seeks to stimulate fundamental research by early-career scientists and scholars of outstanding promise. These two-year fellowships are awarded yearly to 126 researchers in recognition of distinguished performance and a unique potential to make substantial contributions to their field.
- Candidates must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in chemistry, computer science, economics, mathematics, molecular biology, neuroscience, ocean sciences, physics, or a related field
- Candidates must be members of the faculty of a college, university, or other degree-granting institution in the U.S. or Canada
- Candidates must be tenure-track, though untenured, as of the date of submission.
- Candidate’s faculty position must carry a regular teaching obligation
Sloan Research Fellowships are valued at $75,000 for a two year period.
Please refer to the Office of Research COVID 19 web-page for directives related to research activities at the University of Guelph.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
If your nomination will be submitted by a nominator other than the VPR, please submit directly to the Sloan Research Fellowships application portal by the external deadline (anticipated opening in 2020). Please also submit a copy of the full nomination and OR-5 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
The Vice-President (Research) encourages nominations for this award, and will serve as nominator for those nominees recommended by the Honours and Awards Advisory Committee. If you wish to nominate a colleague or to be considered for VPR nomination, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to email@example.com by the internal deadline.
An Expression of Interest will include:
- A draft letter (two-three pages) addressed to the VPR, signed by your ADR, which outlines how you/your nominee meets the criteria outlined on the Sloan Research Fellowships website
- an up-to-date CV (up to 10 pages) for nominee (and each member of the team, if applicable).
As this is an international prize, the University may engage the Global Excellence Initiative to coordinate external review of nominations.
If your nomination will be submitted by a different nominee, and therefore does not require the Vice-President's endorsement, please submit an OR-5 and a complete nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org by the external deadline.