Sony Group Corporation
For More Information
For complete program details, please visit the Sony Research Award Program web-page.
Sony is committed to supporting university research and innovation in the U.S., Canada, India and select European countries, while also fostering partnerships with university faculty and researchers. The Sony Research Award Program provides funding for cutting-edge academic research and helps build a collaborative relationship between faculty and Sony researchers. With awards up to $150,000 USD per year for each accepted proposal, both the Faculty Innovation Award and Focused Research Award create new opportunities for university faculties to engage in pioneering research that could drive new technologies, industries and the future.
- Faculty Innovation Award: Up to $100K USD in funds to conduct cutting-edge research in Sony's general areas of interest.
- Focused Research Award: Up to $150K USD in funds to conduct research in the areas of Sony's immediate interest.
Sony will accept applications from Principal Investigators (PIs) who meet the eligibility criteria below.
- PI's institution: PIs must belong to a university, educational institution, or governmental/non-profit research institute. (e.g. Sony will accept submissions from research institutes that are categorized as governmental and NPO/NGO in nature index tables).
- PI's position: PIs must be a full-time professor (adjunct professors and adjunct researchers are not eligible) or researcher and be eligible to supervise Ph.D. students at the PI's institution. Full professors, associate professors, and assistant professors are eligible to apply. For the UK, this includes Senior Lecturers, Principal Lecturers, Lecturers, and Readers who are eligible to supervise Ph.D. students at their institutions.
- Countries: The PI’s institution must be in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
Sony will accept applications that have a PI and one or more co-PIs for the same proposal as long as all co-PIs are from the same institution as the PI. However, only one award is made to the primary PI and the primary PI's university/institution if the proposal is selected. All co-PIs must meet the same eligibility criteria as that for a PI, and co-PIs will be required to sign program documents.
Maximum Project Value
Please submit proposals for a one year period only. No multi-year proposals will be accepted.
Intellectual Property (IP) Rights
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Submissions to Sony must be completed by 11:59 pm PDT on September 15, 2022 (2:59 am EST on September 16, 2022).
How to Apply
For complete program details and how to apply, please visit the Sony Research Award Program web-page.