US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) - Science and Technology (S&T) Directorate
Long Range Broad Agency Announcement (LRBAA)
For More Information
See the SAM.Gov website for details including amendments to the announcement. Amendments 6 are for research topics.
DHS S&T is interested in receiving research concept materials that meet one of the following three types of research areas:
- Type I (New Technologies): Scientific study and experimentation directed towards advancing unique state-of-the-art research, technology development, and demonstration. Emphasis for this type classification is on research and development, with technology demonstration in an operational environment;
- Type II: (Unique Prototype Technologies) Includes the development of prototypes that require a proof of concept, including technology demonstrations in an operational environment; and
- Type III: (Advance State of the Art Technology Improvements) Increases scientific discovery or improvements in technology, materials, processes, methods, devices or techniques. Includes technology demonstration in an operational environment. LRBAA awards may consist of basic and applied research contracts, grants, cooperative agreements and/or other transactions agreements, to include technology development and demonstration.
- Securing Aviation
- Protecting from Terrorist Attacks
- Securing Borders
- Securing Cyberspace
- Preventing Terrorism
- Managing Incidents
These priority needs drive DHS’s R&D investments. DHS S&T and components look for the following types of solutions:
- Over the horizon, future innovations that will transform the way US homeland security operators accomplish their missions.
- Near-term capabilities that will solve current operational challenges and meet the Department’s R&D needs.
- New applications of technologies to respond to emerging threats to the US.
The DHS S&T LRBAA 18-01 is a five (5) year announcement and will remain open until June 3, 2023, 11:59PM, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). This announcement may also contain topics with a limited open submission period. Industry Engagement materials are due by June 3, 2023, 11:59PM, EDT or as indicated in the announcement in order to be further considered for an invitation to participate in the LRBAA’s Phase I-Virtual Pitch and Phase II-Written Proposal. Please be advised that the response dates associated with Phase I-Virtual Pitch and Phase II- Written Proposal will be the date specified in the notification letter provided to applicants and not the LRBAA completion date of June 3, 2023, 11:59PM, EDT, referenced above.
For more information about how DHS compiles these needs, visit the website at https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-technology/our-needs and https://www.dhs.gov/publication/working-industry-find-technology-solutions to download the DHS S&T Industry Guide that lays out DHS technology needs and describes S&T’s technical focus areas in further detail. Learn more about the Department’s research challenge areas, specific to S&T’s LRBAA topics, and how to use the LRBAA to work with S&T by viewing videos from the LRBAA Today webinar series.
Foreign or foreign-owned sources are advised that their participation is subject to foreign disclosure review procedures, applicable export control laws, and other applicable federal laws, regulations, and policies pertaining to U.S. Government business with foreign entities. Potential sources may include independent organizations, single entities, or teams from private sector organizations, Government laboratories, airport authorities, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs), and academic institutions.
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research COVID-19 web-page.
If you are considering applying, please contact Angela Vuk at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to assist with application requirements.