Banting Research Foundation
For More Information
For additional information, please visit the Banting Foundation website for
- Program guidelines
- Application forms
- Evaluation criteria
The Discovery Award is for innovative health and biomedical research projects by outstanding new investigators at universities and research institutes in Canada who are within the first three years of their first academic appointment. The intent is to provide seed funding so that applicants are able to gather pilot data to enhance their competitiveness for other sources of funding. In addition, we partner with other organizations to grant co-funded Discovery Awards.
A letter of nomination from the applicant’s host department or division head is required confirming:
- all eligibility criteria have been met;
- the amounts and sources of all operating and institutional start-up funds available to the applicant;
- the candidate has been provided the space and access to institutional infrastructure necessary to conduct the proposed research details; and
- establishment of a mentorship plan, identifying the mentor who will provide guidance to the applicant as they launch their career.
A department/division head will be permitted to nominate only one potential applicant during each annual granting cycle.
- be a new investigator at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute who will be within the first three years of the date of first career academic appointment at the application deadline date of January 24, 2022
- have not been awarded by your institution more than $200,000 in start-up funding exclusive of support from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) have not been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds at the application deadline dat of January 24, 2022. (An applicant who has been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds may submit a request for less than $25,000, such that the total sum of operating funds received from all sources during the funding year, should the application to The Banting Research Foundation be successful, not exceeding $75,000).
1 year - July 1 to June 30
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Application: Applicant will receive instructions on how to submit the application on line, once NOI has been submitted.