Canadian Science Policy Centre
Trailblazer Award: The CSPC Trailblazer Award recognizes individuals who have demonstrated novelty, creativity and impact through leadership, vision, courage, and commitment to the overall advancement of the science and innovation policy ecosystem. These individuals have been instrumental in the Canadian policy environment by boldly spearheading change via one or more transformative initiatives, all while blazing a trail and inspiring others to follow. The nominee must have innovated or catalyzed change that has positively and significantly impacted the Canadian Sciences, Technology and Innovation ecosystem through (at least) one of the following:
- Policy making: has demonstrated novelty and creativity leading to a significant impact on policy making in general, policy making for science and innovation, and/or the use of science in policy making.
- Advancing research: has made significant contributions to research in science policy and/or innovation policy.
- Mobilizing knowledge: has made significant contributions to mobilizing and disseminating knowledge to communities across the country and internationally.
- Community-building: has made a transformative impact in bridging the various stakeholders of science and/or innovation policy, building a more cohesive and connected science and innovation community.
- Championing/advocating: has contributed in innovative and creative ways to promote and raise the profile of science policy and/or innovation policy.
- Capacity-building: has contributed to training, mentoring, inspiring, or developing the next generation of scientists and policy makers by spearheading change through an inclusive and collaborative approach.
- Enhancing productivity/development: has enabled a culture of productivity, economic development, or entrepreneurship.
- Enhancing social innovation: has made distinct and transformative impact and contributions to making human and natural systems more adaptive, sustainable, and resilient
Youth Award: This award recognizes an individual under the age of 35 who proposes an innovative and compelling evidence-based policy proposal that will make a positive difference to Canadians. Proposals should be connected to one or more of the themes for the CSPC 2022 listed here. This award is designed not only to highlight innovative, evidence-driven policy ideas by policy students and young professionals, but also to encourage young people not currently studying, or working in public policy to share their policy ideas. Eligible recipients include all young Canadian residents under 35, regardless of their field of study or work.
Trailblazer Award: Nomination must be for an individual living in Canada; nominations are encouraged from any and all sectors, for individuals at any stage of their career, including but not limited to industry, government, academia, and not-for-profit. There are no self-nominations. The prize is for individuals and not teams.
Youth Award: applicant must be a Canadian resident under 35 years of age. Faculty, please consider your graduate students and postdocs for this award and encourage them to apply if they fit the criteria.
The CSPC award winners will be recognized prominently at the 14th Canadian Science Policy Conference, CSPC 2022, Gala Dinner to be held in Ottawa on Nov 17th. The Award winners will receive free admission to the CSPC Gala 2022 along with accommodation for two nights at the designated hotel for the CSPC Gala 2022. The award winner will also receive a trophy and certificate from CSPC.
Two runners-up will also be selected, and will be entitled to free admission to CSPC 2022
Please note that research activities carried out in the context of COVID-19 need to adhere to the University of Guelph COVID-19 research principles, policies, guidelines and processes as they may be updated from time to time and communicated on the Office of Research web-page.
If College-level review is required, your College will communicate its earlier internal deadlines.
Note: this is the deadline for the Trailblazer Award. The Youth Award deadline is August 12, 2022.
How to Apply
Applications and nominations are submitted through the online form on the CSPC website. There are no nomination/referee letters required.
If faculty members would like to be nominated for the Trailblazer Award, please contact email@example.com to discuss possibilities for nomination and the support that ORS can provide.
Those interested in the Youth Award may apply themselves.