Access to Research Centres and Personnel (Tier 2, 4)

Researchers and industry partners may access OMAFRA-supported research centres and technicians by applying for either Tier 2 or Tier 4 research funding. 

Tier 2: Subsidized access to OMAFRA-funded resources

Tier 2 awards provide subsidized access to OMAFRA-supported technicians and research centres. Tier 2 projects must address OMAFRA research priorities. OMAFRA subsidizes 85 percent of the applicable Research Centre Fees for Tier 2 projects. The remaining 15 percent must be covered by external (non-Alliance) partner funding. 

Please note: A fully awarded Tier 2 project is required before research centre usage begins.  Research centre usage that is not covered by an approved Tier 2 project will be charged at the unsubsidized rate.

The 2024/25 Tier 2 call is not currently open due to RMS upgrades.  Please reach out to if you are interested in starting a Tier 2 project in the 2024/25 fiscal year. 

The Tier 2 program guide is available.

See Tier 2 projects funded in 2020/21

Tier 4: Non-subsidized access to OMAFRA-funded resources

Tier 4 provides non-subsidized access to OMAFRA-supported technicians and research centres.  

The Alliance research program uses the Research Management System (RMS) for receiving and adjudicating research proposals.  

RMS is available at: 

Please contact if you experience any difficulties logging in. 

Research Centre Fees

Researchers proposing to use the research centres must include the appropriate research centre fees in their proposal budgets. 

See our Research Centre Fees Price List for more information.

Fees for the Central Animal Facility and Isolation Unit are also available but these facilities do not require a Tier 2 application.