Future You will work alongside world-class faculty.
Lang's PhD Management program prepares you for tenure-track positions at top universities around the world.
With the Lang's PhD in Management program, you'll explore complex challenges in modern business management and scholarship, and develop relevant research within a general degree or in one of three unique academic fields in which the University has a distinct strength - marketing and consumer behaviour, services management and organizational leadership. Throughout your time here, you'll be conducting innovative and relevant research, presenting your ideas at conferences, writing papers for journal publications and networking with peers from other universities.
- 3+ years
- Program length
- Top 6%
- of the world's business schools - AACSB Accredited
- Every September
- Program start date
PhD Economics program at a glance:
- Program length: 3+ years
- Program start date: Every September
- Program delivery: On-campus
- Application deadline: occurs in January
The typical progression through the program is: coursework, qualifying exam (no later than semester 5), thesis proposal, research, and thesis defence.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for admission:
- A recognized master’s degree in a management field with a first class (A- / 80%) average;
- 2 references, with an option for a third reference. Our preference is for academic references, but professional ones may be substituted if appropriate;
- Acceptable GMAT or GRE Score (Minimum Scores - GMAT: 600, GMAT Focus: 565 or GRE: 60th percentile)
- Applications without GMAT or GRE scores will be considered incomplete and may not be reviewed for admission until a score is provided.
- Proof of English proficiency for applicants whose first language is not English. Please note that test scores must be valid for the start of the program.
- Applicants who completed a post-secondary degree from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, or New Zealand may request that this requirement be waived. This request will be reviewed by the graduate selection committee, who may ask for an interview and/or supplementary documentation in their consideration.
Application deadlines for Fall 2025 admission:
- January 15 -- submission of the online application form
- February 1 -- submission of all required supporting documents
Funding for PhD Students
Full-time PhD students are offered guaranteed financial support in their offer of admission. The funding extends throughout the program duration for all eligible semesters (generally the first 12 full-time semesters) and can include a combination of: Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA), Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA), Graduate Service Assistantships (GSA), scholarships and awards.
- Minimum guaranteed funding for PhD students (full-time) is: Domestic students: $21,000 per year for 4 years
- International students: $21,000 per year for 4 years, plus the University of Guelph International Doctoral Tuition Scholarship for eligible students.
Please note: Additional funding is available to students in the form of competitive scholarships and additional GTA, GRA and teaching earnings. Funding packages may be adjusted if major external or internal scholarship is awarded.
Are you an international student considering applying to Lang's PhD Management program? The digital international student viewbook provides you with an overview of our programs, admission requirements, and supports available for international students at the University of Guelph and Lang.