Funding Opportunities - Student Affairs
Becoming a well-rounded student includes developing experience inside and outside the classroom. As such, several funds have been established to help students participate in initiatives that are non-academic in nature, such as coordinating events for other students, for travel, and to attend conferences while enrolled at the University of Guelph. Respective contact information or documents have been listed below each funding description:
On this page:
- Campus Safety Grant
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Enhancement Fund
- Gordon Nixon Leadership Award
- Student Government Funding
- Student Life Enhancement Fund
- Student Volunteer Subsidies
- Travel Grants - Student Financial Services
- University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) Student Experience Fund
Campus Safety Grant
The Campus Safety Grant is provided by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) to address safety and security needs on campus, specifically including those related to addressing sexual violence and harassment. The Campus Safety Grant at the University of Guelph is overseen and administered by the Office of the Vice-Provost (Students Affairs) in consultation with the Sexual Violence Advisory Committee (Students). The Call for 2023-2024 Funding Proposals is now closed. Applications are annually encouraged from University units and Primary Student Organizations.
Past projects and programs that have received funds include (but are not limited to):
- Community-based sexual violence counselling services provided for students on and off campus by Women In Crisis (Guelph)
- SAFE (Sexual Assault Free Environment) Programming and Sexual Violence Education and Awareness Committee Programming
- Campus Safety Apps
- Sexual Violence Support Training and Professional Development for Students, Staff, and Faculty
Additional information about this grant can be obtained by emailing the Office of the Vice-Provost (Student Affairs) at email@example.com.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Enhancement Fund
The University of Guelph emphasizes its commitment to inclusive excellence and fostering a campus that supports the diversity and unique characteristics of all its members. To achieve this, they have established the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Enhancement Fund, a $200,000 initiative aimed at promoting equity, diversity, inclusion, Indigenization, and accessibility within the university community. The fund allows current members of the university (faculty, staff, and students) as well as academic departments or administrative units to submit proposals for projects that address barriers to participation for equity-deserving groups. These groups include women, gender diverse people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, Indigenous, Black, and other racialized groups, persons with disabilities, and religious groups.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-824-4120 x 53000.
Gordon Nixon Leadership Award
Funds were established in recognition of Gordon Nixon and his outstanding contributions in supporting student life, alumni activities, and fundraising at the University. This is an annual grant with funding of up to $10,000 made available to one or more campus-based student organization(s).
Student Government Funding
Students can inquire with the leaders of their respective Student Government Organizations regarding any available funding opportunities:
- Central Student Association (CSA): email@example.com
- Graduate Students' Association (GSA): firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Arts Students Union (CASU): email@example.com
- College of Biological Science Student Council (CBSSC): firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Management and Economics Student Association (CMESA): email@example.com
- College of Physical & Engineering Science Student Council (CPESSC): firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Social & Applied Human Sciences Student Alliance (CSAHS-SA): email@example.com
- Student's Federation of the Ontario Agricultural College (SFOAC): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Central Veterinary Student Association: email@example.com
Student Life Enhancement Fund (SLEF)
Recognized student organizations and clubs, registered students, and University departments are eligible to apply for a SLEF grant. Funds are designed specifically for non-academic initiatives on or off campus, and are allocated to support participating in or providing initiatives designed to enrich the student experience. There are two opportunities to submit applications to the Student Life Enhancement Fund each academic year.
- Funding Parameters, Criteria and Application Templates
- Questions about SLEF can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Volunteer Subsidies
Student Volunteer Connections (SVC) aims to reduce barriers to volunteering, and each year allocates a portion of its budget to help make volunteering more accessible. By subsidizing some of the associated costs with local volunteering, SVC aims to promote, support, and foster student volunteerism. Subsidies are available in the Fall and Winter Semesters. The application deadline is on the 40th class day of the semester, and the successful applicants will receive their funding on the last day of classes.
Travel Grants - Student Financial Services
Student Financial Services is committed to seeing that Guelph students have the opportunity to experience different cultures and communities while providing experiences to enhance learning. Travel Grants are used to offset additional costs associated with travelling, such as airfare, vaccinations and travel insurance costs.
University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) Student Experience Fund:
The University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) Student Experience Fund is an opportunity established by the University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) in support of the unique and important experience of student engagement at the University of Guelph. Specifically intended to nurture a culture of volunteerism, diversity, inclusivity, and civic engagement among the student body.
- Funding Parameters, Criteria and Application Templates
- Questions about the fund can be directed to: email@example.com