Student Life Enhancement Fund
Recognized student organizations and clubs, registered students, and University departments are eligible to apply for a Student Life Enhancement Fund (SLEF) grant. Funds are designed specifically for non-academic initiatives on or off campus, and are allocated to support participating in or providing initiatives designed to enrich the student experience.
New for 2021-22! UGAA Student Experience Fund
Established by the University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) in support of the unique and important experience of student engagement at the University of Guelph. Specifically intended to nurture a culture of volunteerism, diversity, inclusivity and civic engagement among the student body.
Applications will be submitted in the same format, same method and same timeline as for the Student Life Enhancement Fund (SLEF). The selection committee will adjudicate all applications for both funds. Project reports will be shared with the UGAA Board of Directors.
Note: The UGAA Student Experience Fund is limited to a total of $10,000.00 for the 2021-2022 academic year.
There are two opportunities to submit applications to the Student Life Enhancement Fund and the UGAA Student Experience Fund for the 2021-2022 academic year:
- Fall deadline: 11:59 PM on Wednesday, September 29th, 2021
- Winter deadline: 11:59 PM on Thursday, January 13th, 2022
- SLEF and UGAA Student Experience Fund Proposals will be assessed based on the following criteria:
The number of students and others benefiting or participating in the activity
The impact ot the student body
The ability to acquire funds elsewhere
The submission of a comprehensive budget that identifies financial need
Priority will be given to new initiatives and projects
Priority will be given to initiatives and projects that benefit a broad segment of the student population
- Proposals for the UGAA Student Experience Fund will also be assessed on the following criteria:
The involvement or relevance to U of G alumni
Priority will be given to initiatives that nurture a culture of volunteerism and civic engagement
Priority will be given to initiatives that foster a culture of diversity and inclusion on campus
- Both SLEF and UGAA Student Experience Fund grants are not intended to support the continued base operating expenses of existing programs.
- Both SLEF and UGAA Student Experience Fund grants are not intended to support expenses related to salaries, gifts, give-a-ways, merchandise and/or apparel.
- Units that submit more than one proposal must prioritize their submissions for funding consideration.
- Funding is reserved for initiatives that will be implemented during the academic year (September-August).
- A new application will not be considered if the applicant(s) have not submitted a final report and receipts for a previously received grant.
- All funding decisions are final.
- Accessible: Events must be accessible.
- Base Budget Funding: Funds are not designed to provide financing for items of an on-going nature.
- Funding over $200.00: Awards over $200.00 will only be made payable to a department/club/group/organization.
- Career Fair: A proposal that involves a career fair must include a signed letter of support from the Experiential Learning Hub.
- Computer/Technical Equipment: A maximum of $600.00 will be awarded for computer and/or technical equipment. Consideration for an amount exceeding the maximum may occur if it is demonstrated that a specific computer or technical equipment is necessary. Computer software funding will only be allocated for software supported by Computing & Communications Services (CCS) unless it is demonstrated as necessary. Funding will not be provided for personal electronic devices.
- Charitable Events: The Committee will not support a donation directly to a charity. However, funding will be provided to suppor the cost of hosting an initiative that enriches the student experience where the profits of the initiatives are allocated towards a registered charitable organization or suitable on-campus organization.
- Networking and Community Development Events: Funding in support of events that are designed to facilitate networking or community development will be considered. Proposals submitted for purely social events will be considered at a lower priority. A maximum of $1,000.00 will be awarded for networking and community development events.
- Conferences: Funding in support of students attending or hosting a non-academic conference that enriches the student experience at the University of Guelph will be considered.
Individual Attendance: For acceptable non-academic conference requests, a student can receive up to a maximum of $200.00.
Group Attendance: Students applying to attend a non-academic conference with a group must apply as a team. Each tea can receive up to a maximum of $2,000.00 to be shared equally with the group. Special consideration may be made for international travel or for groups larger than 10 students.
Hosting a Conference: A group coordinating and hosting a non-academic conference on campus is eligible to apply for funding with no cap.
- Travel: Funding in support of travel will NOT be considered for the 2021-2022 academic year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Alcohol and Other Substances: Funding will not be provided for the purchase of alcohol or other substances.
- Proposal is clear and concise:
Provides clear evidence of student involvement and consultation during the development of proposal
Indicates student involvement in designing, implementing, and evaluating project
Provides realistic timetable
Describes how project(s) will be evaluated in terms of meeting its objectives
Describes how initiatives will be maintained after the funding is finished, if applicable
- Proposal aligns with the SLEF and/or the UGAA Student Experience Fund purpose and eligibility guidelines:
Will benefit a broad segment of the student population as possible
In the case of applications that directly involve one or a few students, the expectation is for the applicant to demonstrate how this activity will benefit the larger student body, as per the criteria
Does not duplicate existing programs
Is for non-academic purpose
Proposers are eligible recipients (i.e. accredited student group, student government, University Department)
- Budget is detailed with projected costs, revenues, and justification (it is recommended to use the budget template provided):
Are projected costs/revenues realistic?
Are appropriate letters of support included?
Are other sources of funding requests identified?
Application Template: Please use this template as a guide for completing the online SLEF/UGAA Student Experience Fund Application.
Please note: This is NOT the official application. You can use this template to help you prepare for completing the SLEF/UGAA Student Experience Fund Application located on GryphLife and linked below.
Ready to Submit an Application?
Applications for Fall 2021 initiatives are now OPEN! Sign into GryphLife.ca and then click on the SLEF/UGAA Student Experience Fund Application Link to complete the form.
Using the template provided (linked above), complete an itemized budget listing that outlines each estimated cost and any estimated revenue. Indicate the total cost to host the proposed initiative (subtract revenue from costs). Completed budget templates should be saved and uploaded to GryphLife when completing the online application form (linked above) and a Final Report (linked below).
Please label your file using the following format: Organization_Initiative_Budget (for example, if Student Experience was applying to fund a concert the file name would be: StudentExperience_Concert_Budget).
A final report is required from ALL grant recipients. Each final report must include receipts and a detailed final budget using the Budget Template (linked above). The Final Report deadline for all Fall 2021 initiatives is 11:59 PM on Wednesday, December 22, 2021.
Are you wanting to apply to the Student Life Enhancement Fund and/or the UGAA Student Experience Fund for the Fall 2021 and/or Winter 2022 semester but need a little guidance or have questions regarding your application?
Members of the SLEF/UGAA Student Experience Fund Review Committee are hosting two virtual Q & A sessions this fall! Join us at one or both. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Thursday, September 16, 2021 | 2-3 PM | Microsoft Teams | Sign up on GryphLife.ca
- Monday, September 20, 2021 | 1-2 PM | Microsoft Teams | Sign up on GryphLife.ca
Not able to make the Q & A sessions, but have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.