Getting Settled

Health Care

In a time of significant health care change, health care providers and practitioners have collaborated with municipal leaders and politicians in the City of Guelph to ensure that residents have access to health care when they need it. A co-ordinated recruitment strategy has succeeded in attracting new physicians to our city, and the Physician Recruitment and Retention Committee continues to recruit for our growing population.

The University is working closely with the local medical community to meet the needs of incoming faculty, staff and their families. For information on how to apply for a family physician or if you are experiencing difficulty finding appropriate medical care, please contact Tracey Jandrisits in the Office of Faculty Relations and Recruitment.
(519) 824-4120 ext 53195

Personal Health Care

For residents without a family physician, three walk-in clinics (1 daytime, 2 evening) provide medical care.
The University has a Health and Performance Centre, offering sports medicine and comprehensive treatment to faculty, staff and students for sport and activity-related injury. The community is well serviced by paraprofessionals and allied health disciplines, as well as alternative therapy practitioners.

Mental Health Care

The Community Mental Health Clinic and numerous agencies and therapists provide mental health services. The well-known Homewood Health Centre is a private psychiatric hospital, Canada's premier provider of behavioural, addiction and psychiatric services.

Public Health Services

The Wellington Dufferin - Guelph Health Unit provides comprehensive public health services including immunization and travel clinic, pre- and post-natal services, sexual health clinic, and many other school and community health education programs and services. The Guelph office is located at 125 Delhi St. (821-2370).

Hospital & Inpatient Care

Guelph is served by the Guelph General Hospital, which has a 24 -hour Emergency Department and has hired "hospitalists" to provide inpatient medical care to patients who do not have a family physician or whose physician does not provide hospital care.

Occupational Health Care

The occupational health needs of the University faculty and staff are managed by the Environmental Health and Safety Department, which includes full time Occupational Health nursing, contracted Occupational Health physician services, and safety officers.

Services for the Disabled

Guelph Services for Persons with Disabilities is a non-profit charitable organization that is dedicated to promoting the independence, inclusion, participation and personal choice of adults with physical disabilities in our community through the provision of responsive services and supports. Their web site contains information about accessibility that would be helpful to a person with a disability, their friends and family.

Rehabilitation and Continuing Care

The newly designed St Joseph's Health Centre focuses on long-term care, complex continuing care, rehabilitation and community outreach programs.

Health Insurance

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health care coverage through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) and must have a valid health card. OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. For further details on eligibility and application, check the OHIP website.

If you are not a Canadian citizen, you will need coverage under the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) until your OHIP coverage is confirmed. Check the Human Resources FAQs for UHIP

The University's Extended Health Care plan builds on protection provided by OHIP providing faculty, spouses and dependents with reimbursement for prescription drugs, vision care, semi-private hospital accommodation, medical services and supplies, out-of province emergency care, and more.