International Faculty

Welcome to the University of Guelph! This page is intended for new faculty, librarians and Veterinarians immigrating to Canada to work at the University. 

Getting Settled in Ontario

The Province of Ontario has developed a guide for individuals moving to Ontario that covers many of the things you will need to know as a new resident. The guide is available in EnglishFrench and a number of other languages.

Work Permits

Non-Canadians and Permanent Residents require a work permit to legally work in Canada. Applications for work permits are processed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and can be submitted online, through a Visa Application Centre, through an IRCC Visa Processing Office or at a Port of Entry as you are entering Canada. While the University will provide the required employer documentation to assist you, it is your responsibility to apply for a work permit. The University does not provide assistance with the work permit application.

For more information, consult the following IRCC websites:

Tenure-track and continuing-track employees will be required to apply for Permanent Resident status when eligible. For more information, visit the IRCC website on Permanent Resident status.

Health Insurance

Medical care in Ontario is covered through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). OHIP covers medical expenses such as visits to family doctors and hospitals, medical tests and procedures. You will be required to register for OHIP coverage upon arrival in Ontario. Refer to the OHIP website or contact Service Ontario for more information.

As there is a three-month waiting period for OHIP, new non-Canadian employees are required to enrol in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for the first three months of employment. UHIP provides some coverage for those items normally covered under OHIP (subject to plan limitations). For more information on UHIP or to enrol, contact