Research Courses - MCB*4500 & MCB*4510

Registering in Molecular and Cellular Biology Research Projects (MCB*4500 & MCB*4510)

Students in these courses do independent laboratory research under the supervision of individual faculty. 

Instructions for Students

  1. You must have the prerequisites for Research Projects as detailed in the Calendar.
  2. A matching program has been implemented that will match student interests with faculty projects.  This matching program occurs over several weeks in mid-January to early February.  This program eliminates the need for students to find potential faculty advisors on their own.  Note this is a voluntary program but is restricted to students and faculty member is CBS. More information will be available on the “CBS Research Readiness” Resource Page in CourseLink.  However, you can still identify potential advisors from within CBS and departments outside of CBS on your own. MCB*4500/4510 Research projects outside MCB must involve biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics and/or microbiology. Research being done by faculty in the MCB Department is described on their faculty pages.
  3. After you have an advisor you need to fill out a Project Agreement.
    Complete the Agreement by checking off the Prerequisites or identifying any deficiencies. Your Advisor MUST sign beside each deficiency. A Project Agreement is only complete when all signatures are obtained where required.
  4. When you have secured an advisor, obtain a Course Waiver Request form and fill it out for the course. The form can be picked up from Enrolment Services on the 3rd floor of the University Centre or it can be downloaded from the above link and printed.
  5. Leave the section number blank because the Course Coordinator will assign a section number corresponding to your faculty advisor.
  6. Send the course coordinator your signed Research Project Agreement and Course Waiver to be signed at 

    NOTE: the Course Coordinator signs your Course Waiver Request and assigns you to a section number (not your advisor). The current Course Coordinator is Kelsey Pannunzio ( Please do not send forms to be signed to Kelsey's personal inbox
  7. Once the course coordinator has signed and returned your course waiver request, to be registered into the course you must either send the form to Enrolment Services (, or drop a physical copy off on the 3rd floor of the University Centre.

NOTE: The Research Agreement is for the entire Project (MCB*4500 & MCB*4510) unless either the Student or the Advisor choose to withdraw.

Withdrawal must be made in writing to the Coordinator.