"When I talk to friends from other universities it always makes me realize how much U of G has to offer – personable and engaging professors, opportunities for involvement, and both a school and city with a real community focus. Pursuing graduate studies at U of G was an easy decision for me." Read Danielle's full Q&A here.
Food, Agricultural & Resource Economics (MFARE or M.Sc.)
The MFARE and M.Sc. programs are offered through the Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics (FARE) and focus on two major areas of emphasis:
- Food and agricultural economics
- Natural resource and environmental economics
The MFARE program provides an alternative pathway to graduate education related to the economics of food, agriculture, and natural resources, with an emphasis on skills acquisition and development of industry specific expertise. Through expanded course work requirements, students develop a breadth of exposure to empirical methods and analytical approaches to undertaking policy analysis and research, and enhanced communication skills.
The aim of the M.Sc. program is to develop in students a fundamental understanding of economic principles and their application in identifying and solving relevant problems related to food, agriculture, and natural resources. The program also strives to develop appropriate analytical, methodological, and communication skills to enable students to analyze agriculture and resource problems effectively and explain their findings.
Two ways to complete your degree:
- MFARE is a course-based degree which requires either course work with a major research paper or course work alone.
- M.Sc. is a research-oriented degree which require both course work and a thesis.
Meet the Profs
Say hello to the professors of the Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics in these 60 second snapshot videos. More faculty videos can be found here.
Find Out More
Here's a compiled list of helpful links about graduate school at the University of Guelph:
- MFARE, M.Sc., PhD - Food, Agriculture & Resource Economics Program Brochure
- Active Research Projects in FARE
- Faculty Profiles & Research Interests
- Admission Requirements
- Applying to Guelph
- Scholarships & Funding
- FAQs about Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies
FARE Graduate Program Assistant
519-824-4120, Ext. 52771