Fall 2020 Course Selection Helpful Hints and FAQs

Last updated September 2, 2020

When will I be able to see what courses will be offered in the Fall?

Course offerings are now posted on WebAdvisor.

What are the alternative delivery formats for Fall 2020 courses?

As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, most undergraduate courses and/or course components for the Fall 2020 semester will be delivered online through asynchronous or synchronous learning.

  • Asynchronous learning happens without the need for real-time interaction. It has no requirement for attendance at a specific time or location for any activities or exams. On WebAdvisor, the location of the course shows as "Remote."
  • Synchronous learning is the kind of learning that happens in real time. Online attendance is expected at a specific time for some or all course activities. Attendance at a specific location is not expected for any activities or exams. On WebAdvisor, the location of the course shows as "Virtual."

For more details about these alternative delivery formats and for information about how to determine the format of a course when searching for courses on WebAdvisor, visit the Fall 2020 Courses webpage.

What should I do if a required course is full?

If all sections of a required course are full, please contact your Program Counsellor to discuss options.

What should I do if the course section that I want is full?

If your desired section is full at the time of your window opening, select another open section that fits your schedule and then continue to monitor WebAdvisor for availability in your desired section. Space may become available if another student drops that section.

TIP: You may place more than one section of the same course in your "Preferred Sections" list on WebAdvisor so that you have a backup option ready if your first choice is full.

I'm interested in a First-Year Seminar but all of the sections are full. Will more spaces become available?

There are a limited number of these courses offered each semester, with just 18 spots available in each one, to first-year students only. Please monitor WebAdvisor as space may become available if another student drops the course. Please note that First-Year Seminars are not required courses and they may not fit in your schedule depending on your program’s required courses.

Helpful hint: Register for one course at a time.

If you try to register for multiple courses at once and there is a problem with one of them (i.e., the course is restricted or you don't have the necessary prerequisites), you will not be registered in any of the courses.

When can undergraduate and associate diploma students on the Guelph campus begin selecting Fall 2020 courses?

Course selection windows will begin opening July 14, 2020. Students are assigned to a window based on the number of completed and in-progress credits, from highest to lowest. To determine your window (i.e., when you can begin selecting courses), you can find your number of completed and in-progress credits by running your Unofficial Transcript or your Program/Academic Evaluation on WebAdvisor.

  • When viewing your Program/Academic Evaluation, go to the "Program Status" section and, from the table labelled "Combined," add the numbers of "Earned" and "Additional" (Anticipated) credits.
  • When viewing your Unofficial Transcript, add the weight of each of your current courses (displayed on your Class Schedule in the “Creds” column or noted in the individual course description of the Academic Calendar) to the “Total Earned Credits” at the bottom.

New students can begin enrolling in courses on July 23, 2020. Students entering with transfer credits may be able to enrol earlier depending on number of credits granted; see the course selection windows for more information. For help selecting courses for your first semester, visit the Registration Guide for New Students.

After your window opens, you can continue to enrol in courses up until September 18, 2020. All students are encouraged to select courses as soon as possible after their window opens. Students who do not enrol promptly may find that access to their desired or required course sections may not be possible.

When will the Fall 2020 final exam schedule be posted?

The final exam schedule for Fall 2020 courses is now available on WebAdvisor. If you are making changes to your Fall 2020 courses, please consult the final exam schedule. Students may not register in courses which have a direct final exam conflict. If you should create a direct final exam conflict when making changes to your course registrations, you must amend the course registrations to remove the conflict.

I'm an upper-year student and there is a first-year course that I would like to take. Why isn't WebAdvisor allowing me to enrol in this course?

Some 1000-level courses were restricted to first-year students until noon on Tuesday, August 4. Those temporary course restrictions have now been lifted.

What courses will be delivered through face-to-face instruction and what do I need to know?

See the list of courses with face-to-face instruction. Health and safety protocols will be in effect for all face-to-face courses on campus. These include wearing masks and allowing for physical distancing, which will require allowing yourself up to 30 minutes both before and after each face-to-face class. Please keep this in mind when selecting and scheduling courses.

Can I enrol in a course if I don't have the appropriate prerequisites or if the course is restricted to students in another program?

You will need to receive approval from the course instructor in order to enrol in the course. Complete the appropriate Course Waiver Request Form (Undergraduate Course Waiver Request Form or Graduate Course Waiver Request Form) and have it signed by the course instructor. The instructor's approval is not automatic, nor is it guaranteed. Email the signed form to es@uoguelph.ca at any time.

How do I enrol in a course where the prerequisite is listed as "Instructor consent is required"?

Complete the appropriate Course Waiver Request Form (Undergraduate Course Waiver Request Form or Graduate Course Waiver Request Form) and have it signed by the course instructor. The instructor's approval is not automatic, nor is it guaranteed. Email the signed form to es@uoguelph.ca at any time.

If the instructor is "TBA" on WebAdvisor, consult the appropriate department's office. (For undergraduate courses, the department offering the course is listed in the course description found in the Undergraduate Calendar. You can access the course description directly on WebAdvisor by clicking on the "Section Name and Title" in your section search results.)

Can I choose fewer than five courses?

The normal full-time course load for undergraduate students is 2.5 credits (usually 5 courses, except for BEng students) per semester. 2.0 credits (usually 4 courses) is still considered full-time. Part-time is 1.5 credits or less in a semester. While you have the option to study part-time (except Co-op students), we suggest that you speak with a Program Counsellor to decide if this is an appropriate option for you. Note: there are tuition and fee differences between full-time and part-time studies. It could impact scholarship, sponsorship, and financial aid eligibility, including government aid (e.g., OSAP). Visit Student Financial Services for details. It could also affect your international student status; contact the International Student Advisor if you have questions or concerns.

Where do I find a list of courses that I am supposed to take?

Please do not use Google to find your required courses; it will take you to the wrong Calendar!

The list of courses you must take is called your Schedule of Studies, and it is based on your Calendar Year. It is therefore important to confirm your Calendar Year so that you follow the correct Schedule of Studies. If you follow the incorrect Calendar, you could be taking the wrong courses and delaying your graduation. 

Follow the steps below to find your Calendar Year and Schedule of Studies.

  1. Log in to WebAdvisor and select the "Program/Academic Evaluation" menu item.
  2. Run your evaluation. On the top left of your Evaluation, you will see "Calendar." The year listed indicates your Calendar Year, e.g., 2020 means that you will follow the 2020-2021 Academic Calendar.
  3. Once you know your Calendar Year, select it from the following list. This link will take you to Chapter 10 of the Undergraduate Calendar: 
  4. Select your program from the list on the right and then click on your major. If you are in Co-op, be sure to select the Co-op major. Here you will find all of the courses required for your degree program in semester order.

What is the credit/no credit grading option?

This fall, the University is introducing a credit/no credit grading option that will enable students to extend their learning to new academic disciplines without risking their GPA. Students who have completed at least 4.00 credits can request the credit/no credit option in lieu of a numerical grade for qualifying elective courses. These courses will not be calculated in the student's semester or cumulative average and instead assigned as a general credit on their transcript. Read more about the credit/no credit policy.

I have an outstanding balance on my student account. Will this affect my ability to select Fall courses?

If you are an undergraduate student, an outstanding balance will cause you to be placed on academic/financial sanction. Academic sanction will prevent you from seeing your final grades, obtaining a transcript and selecting Fall semester courses. Your student account balance must be zero before you can select Fall courses. You are also required to pay the $200 Registration Deposit by August 14 to hold your courses. To maintain registration in your selected courses, you will need to pay your Fall account in full (or make an arrangement for payment with Student Financial Services) by September 18, 2020.