International Student Advising

International Student Advisors

Hey Everyone!  My name is Matthew Keefe and I am one of your International Student Advisors here at the University of Guelph.

I’m here to help you navigate the relationship Immigration has with your academics, making sure that you are setting yourself up for success not only during your studies but once you graduate as well.  My role also includes providing support throughout your time at the University of Guelph, from the transition to life on campus and here in Canada, to helping you build your community in a new place.  I also work with all stakeholders on campus from your faculty members to Coordinators and Counselors to better the understanding of the path an International Student goes through and how we can all work together to better your experience.

My role provides guidance for full-degree undergraduate and graduate students, whether you have a study permit, you’re a Canadian who’s been living abroad and now you’re here for school, you are a permanent resident, or you identify as a newcomer to Canada.

Here are some of the ways we can assist:

  • Help to connect with others on campus
  • Feeling homesick, lonely or isolated
  • How to look for work on or off campus
  • Information on how to get your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • Health Insurance questions
  • How to get more involved on campus (Volunteering, joining extracurricular activities)
  • Feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and/or depressed
  • Coping with the Winter blues

Immigration related:

  • How to extend your Study Permit
  • Change of conditions
  • Work eligibility for both on and off-campus
  • What to expect after graduation, applying for your Post-Graduate Work Permit
  • Implications of dropping to part-time status
  • Scheduled and Unscheduled breaks
  • Spousal permits
  • Temporary Resident Visas (TRV)

Come by with your questions, or just to chat – we look forward to meeting with you!

We are located in Student Experience, 3rd floor of the University Centre.  Contact us at 519.824.4120 extension 58698 (Matthew) or by email at to ask a question or make an appointment.  We also have drop-in hours each semester for those that want to come by without an appointment.  Check out our International Student Connections newsletter for more updated information each semester or drop by Student Experience.