Admission to the M.A. program in Art History and Visual Culture may be granted on the recommendation of the School of Fine Art and Music to:
- the holder of a BA degree (honours equivalent), or an honours BA (or its equivalent in art history) with a minimum of a 75% average; or
- in exceptional cases, the holder of a degree in another field who has completed a minimum of six one-semester courses in art history; or
- a student who has satisfied the requirements for transfer from the provisional-student category.
It is highly recommended that applicants complete at least eight semesters of courses in art history, cultural studies, or related areas prior to applying. Serious interest in, and substantial familiarity with, historical and contemporary issues in Art and Visual Culture is expected.
Application Supplementary Support Materials
Each applicant must submit the following:
- A single-page statement that outlines the applicant's career objectives and reasons for wishing to study in the University of Guelph's Master of Arts program in Art History and Visual Culture.
- Letters of reference from two professors. The applicant must have taken a significant proportion of course work from at least one of the professors. An acceptable alternative to one such letter may be from the department Chair on behalf of the department in which the applicant has studied, or from a professional in the field who is familiar with the applicant's abilities. These must be submitted in a signed and sealed envelope.
- Official University Transcripts
Online application is now required by the University of Guelph. In exceptional circumstances, hard copy application information packages may be requested with a mailing address from the Graduate Secretary in the College of Arts. The supplementary support materials required for the application are mailed or hand delivered to the Graduate Secretary.
For online application procedure:
Application Fee is CDN $100.
Once you have completed the online application, please gather together the required materials (see above) and send by mail or courier to:
School of Fine Art and Music
University of Guelph