Hello! Meet Us at the Urban Farm
The Guelph Centre for Urban Organic Farming (GCUOF) offers learning opportunities for volunteers throughout the growing season. Whatever your experience or interests, we can use your help!
Get involved by sending an email to Mike Smith, farm coordinator, at email@example.com.
Mike will ask that you fill out a Volunteer Contact and Information Form. New volunteers will also be asked to sign a University of Guelph waiver form, and there will be some health and safety training, including COVID-19 protocols.
IMPORTANT: All previous volunteers must go through this new process to volunteer and to be considered a volunteer at the GCUOF.
GCUOF volunteers are involved in every stage of production from seed starting and bed preparation to harvesting for market. We are always looking for help with site maintenance, planting and weeding. Volunteers are also involved in construction projects and tasks such as seed saving.
While we prepare the farm for the 2021 season, volunteer hours will be discussed via email by Mike Smith. Volunteer hours are weather dependent; please don't come on rainy days.
Volunteer Guidelines: 2021
Thanks for your interest in the farm! Please start by filling out a Volunteer Contact and Information Form.
Please consider the following farm guidelines, remember to check-in with staff when you arrive, and sign a waiver form.
General Volunteer Responsibilities
- Only volunteer on site if either the farm coordinator or GCUOF faculty advisor are present.
- Stay on the path (avoid soil compaction).
- Always ask for help if you're unsure.
- Clean and return tools according to farm protocols; these will be discussed during the initial health and safety training.
- Gather garden waste for the compost pile.
- Distinguish between weeds and crop plants. We'll help!
- Take instruction from the farm manager or an informed farm worker.
- Have fun, and meet new people!
You Should Bring...
These awesome, useful items!
- Water: Quench the thirst of hard work!
- Hat: Large rims are welcome
- Snacks: You're going to work up an appetite!
- Work Shoes: Please clean them to prevent contamination from other gardens
- The garden is only open during the day with accompanying staff.
- The parking lot next to the farm requires a University of Guelph parking pass. A bike rack is available. Please arrange transportation accordingly.
- We do not have public washroom facilities.
See you in the field!